Baseline '91 318is Dynojet dyno results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baseline '91 318is Dynojet dyno results

I had my stock 1991 318is dyno'ed today. Assuming 15% drivetrain loss, I was hoping for at least 113whp SAE corrected. :)

130k miles
    4th gear
    92 octane pump gas
    58.43 F
    39% Humidity
    Air/Fuel taken at the tailpipe

Alpina B3 Flash/BMS OCC/ER CP/ETS 5/HKS BOV/M3 Control Arms/OFT

wow, I thought the twin cam 318's did a little better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by browntown View Post
      wow, I thought the twin cam 318's did a little better than that.

Considering that the 318is was originally rated at 134bhp, 117 to the wheels is good.

Comment

Seams alright to me, the 8v must be making about 80 whp LOL
        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by 808AWD325xi View Post

Considering that the 318is was originally rated at 134bhp, 117 to the wheels is good.
          I didn't know what they were rated at, was just surprised.

Comment

Thats a pretty darn good result really
            sigpic340hp V8 e30 FINISHED!!!!!
            Quick vid for ya ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp5Eaf8xOgM
            NEW One on the track :)
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-AX5SzSLnk
            Cleaning up some 911s and Jap turbos
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad79wsLdle4

Comment

Damnit Paul. I woulda brought out the swap car to dyno if I had known you were doin this.

Not bad for an m42. Now get that chager on there and redo it! :)
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Groupie View Post
                Damnit Paul. I woulda brought out the swap car to dyno if I had known you were doin this.

Not bad for an m42. Now get that chager on there and redo it! :)
                Perhaps if we still had regular PDX GTG's we might have talked about it...:-P

Comment

What are the plans for it? Good to know the baseline, but I want to see what the TRUE gains are from a chip, then exhaust, then intake w/heat shield, potentially without having to do it on my own. I keep getting mixed opinions on whether or not an intake is going to give me any gains (concerned only about area under the curve, not peak numbers).
                  1991 318is STS Build In Progress for National Tour/ProSolo '09.

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedTheory View Post
                    What are the plans for it? Good to know the baseline, but I want to see what the TRUE gains are from a chip, then exhaust, then intake w/heat shield, potentially without having to do it on my own. I keep getting mixed opinions on whether or not an intake is going to give me any gains (concerned only about area under the curve, not peak numbers).
                    Grassroots Motorsports did all this like 2 years ago on an m42'd e30.
                    sigpic

Comment

Yes, but they installed the intake without software or exhaust, iirc. Actually lost power, from what I recall. I know software will provide a good gain, as will the exhaust system, but I want to see if anyone has PROVEN gains from an intake AFTER having done software and exhaust. Also, they only recognized PEAK numbers, not the area under the curve. That's fine and dandy for caring about cars that will only be driven WOT at the high-end of their rev range, but as an autocrosser, I'll be in low-rev second gear a good bit for technical sections of courses, and that matters to me just as much.
                      1991 318is STS Build In Progress for National Tour/ProSolo '09.

Comment

at low/autocross speeds i doubt a intake will do you much good, theres no air flow at or around the air filter, except hot, underhood air.

Comment

i wish i did a baseline dyno i want to see how much a chip+m20 flywheel will do. along with minor other things

Comment

Originally posted by SpeedTheory View Post
                            I'll probably do a TMS chip first -- it will probably be a while before I'm willing to bother with an intake or exhaust. I really don't believe CAI's accomplish much except compound the overall maintenance burden.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                              Seams alright to me, the 8v must be making about 80 whp LOL
                              Actually mine made 95 rwhp bone stock. 234k miles and 93 octane.Taking into consideration drivetrain loss, the OP's car is making good power.

Comment

Working...
                              X