Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just replaced my chain tensioner and now it's worse....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just replaced my chain tensioner and now it's worse....

The motor had a bit of ticking under engine decel so I replaced the tensioner as stated via online instructions, started it up and had it idle at 3,500 rpms for 30 seconds and now it's a lot worse. It sounds just like the engine in the video posted on this first page.

Did I do something wrong or was this band-aid fix just a sign to replace the chain and guides?
    83 500 SEC.....aired and then some
    87 420 SEL......on 20" D's
    99 M3..............twinscrewed and wallet hungry

wait did you put it in with it still compressed.. hoping that it would pop out before you break something?? does that even sound safe? good job buddy. pull it off and try puting it on correctly

Comment

Nope, I compressed the tensioner enough so it popped out all the way, then placed it into the hole and threaded the nut, torqued it to 26 ft lbs. Started up and now it's a lot worse. I'm going to pull it out and compare it to the old one, see if something is up.

Comment

OK I pulled the tensioner out, let it sit in oil for 10 minutes, threw it back in and it seems to be better. I still hear a little bit of noise under engine decel but it's a lot quieter then with the old one.

I had it running last night for a few minutes, then this morning after I soaked it for a few minutes and I am guessing it just needed some more oil pressure in it.

Comment

when i did mine my motor just purred.

Comment

OK I ran it for a while, motor sounds perfect.

Comment

Some good info.

So if you put a new timing chain tensioner in an m42 and it is working properly but you still have some chain noise, then you waited too long to replace it.

Meaning that your timing chain gears are now worn down to the point that they are sharp little points instead of thick teeth.

and your guide will be worn.

1986 325es (69k) Garage Queen Buy It Now 10k;1986 325es (track rat) 2.7i How-To & 1.1/1.3Motronic UpGrade
              1991 318is (daily driver) 1991 318is M42 Maintenance How-To;1989 325i (parts car)

Comment

Hoping it is not like that. I just purchased this car from a board member about 2 months ago and prepping it for heavy auto-X and light racing this year and haven't allowed myself the time to rebuild the motor, so I am hoping that is not what is needed to continue racing this year.

Comment

Working...
                X