So 200k in my M42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So 200k in my M42

and since the s50 swap is on hold at the moment, and this car needs to make it to the PNW picnic, what maintenance should I perform.

I dont know the history, bought it @ 192k have done 2 oil changes and one coolant flush.

I will for sure do another coolant flush and oil change before june, and sounds like I need to do the chain tensioner from what Ive read. What else would you guys suggest?

TIA
    Devon
    Hemingway said it best. “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

Help a brother out, buy your detailing products here...

Drop the lower pan and check for bolts, they like to work their way out. Check all of the upper pan bolts you can with it off. As you said chain tensioner, spark plugs, fuel filter maybe. I imagine your not trying to dump a bunch of money into it.

BTW, please let me know when you take it out. Ive been looking for an m42 to rebuild, unless I change my mind and do a f20c or sr20 swap.

Comment

i will for sure, it will probably be sometime this summer, thats when I will have the most time to work on it. Also, you will probably see my swap thread pop up on here, so if I forget just remind me.
      Hemingway said it best. “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

Comment

bump for some more advice, and so I can order anything and everything I need today. Also, if you know of a few good DIY's post em up too.

Comment

would change accesory belts and carry some extra hoses with you on the way, When I go on a long trip I carry some repair tape and extra collant and oil

Comment

Will definitely do that too.

So accessory belts, hoses, chain tensioner, spark plugs, check for pan bolts (didn't even know this happened, I checked it out on M42club, glad I did), coolant and oil, fuel filter.

Should I do the fuel pump as well? I know I will be doing it soon on my e46, but they like to fail.

Comment

Which hoses do you guys recommend to replace, which are "easy" to get at?

This a good starting point?
              Last edited by devonjordan; 03-25-2008, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Thats a pretty good list but try getting the parts from BMA. I know you can save at least $50 on the tensioner alone.

Comment

Show me where? On there site its listed @ 110. I did send an email though, so we'll see what happens.

Comment

I meant like the radiator hoses, I think the small cheap ones might be for the heater plate on the throttle body, those are easy to get to, but I capped it off at the block and got rid of the small hoses.

Comment

Yeah, I gotta take a look @ the engine bay and see what I can actually get to before I pay for it all...

Comment

That timing chain tensioner price seems a bit high. I'm seeing it listed for $46.21 at BMA.

Comment

?Yeah, figured it out. I gave Erik the wrong part number haha.

Comment

My situation was almost identical to yours. Bought mine at 191k a year ago, took it on a 2000+ mile trip this past December (to get it painted for free). I did all the things suggested in this thread, and I also took the intake manifold completely off and replaced all the hoses and the plastic pipe that are under there. I did not go the heater plate delete route, because I need an all-weather car from time to time. I replaced the water pump (leaking) and thermostat (no housing gasket was on its housing ). I HIGHLY recommend you replace that plastic coolant pipe -- mine shattered in three places while I was removing it to put the new one in. I have heard of this failure occurring to other people while out on the highway. This always results in a bad day, and usually results in a cracked cylinder head from overheating.

After all that, I had no problems on my trip.
                            The current fleet:
                            1992 325ic: 148k-171k miles
                            1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4WD, 114k-142k miles
                            1984 MasterCraft Stars and Stripes Powerslot (not a car :D) PCM Ford 351W, 904 hours

Comment

Working...
                            X