Miller Smart Fan/PSIK Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Miller Smart Fan/PSIK Issues

I am absolutely lost as to what to do. I've called Miller Performance a bunch of times with no answer and have not recieved any reply to my emails.

For those that dont know, Miller's electric fan conversion doesn't connect to a thermometer that you attach to your radiator like some fans but the ecu tells it what to do. The fan comes with a chip to replace in the ECU. In my case software for their Intake and MAF conversion was also on it.

I have a twofold problem and I am not sure if they are related. First my ECU is humming, like the sound of an old dell from early 2000. And its overheating. After maybe 15 or 20 minutes of driving the ecu is burning hot to the touch. It only does this with the performance chip I was given installed. I've made sure than the chip was installed correctly and the wire were soldered properly. (For the MAF they have you make a T connection of the #12 wire into the Red/Blue #37 wire)

Second the fan wont turn on, regardless of the engine temp. To install, you plug it into a connection that the charcoal solonoid goes to. Then you connect two leads to the respective negative and positve leads on the starter.

The chip has to be working otherwise the car wouldnt drive so smoothly. If I even try to start the car with my old ecu the idle is extremly rough because it doesn't recognize the new maf. So the chip is working so why is it heating up and why wont it turn the fan on?

Has anyone had any similar problems? I have a 87 325is btw

Hey the 87 is uses a 153 ecu (motronic 1.1) which is a little different than the 173(motronic 1.3) maybe thats causing an issue? Lookup the pinout for your ecu and make sure it matches up with what its supposed to be. I would also check the wiring again and again....i know i have solved wiring issues on my car after looking at them a 5th time.

Comment

Where and how to access ECU: I have tried to illustrate where and how to access the ECU, it is in the glove box compartment. To access it open your glove box and undo the two screws holding the plastic cover that is at the "ceiling" of the glove box compartment, under there you will

This has slightly different definitions for pin 37 on the 153 and 173 ecu.

Comment

Working...
      X