What is wrong with my car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is wrong with my car?

If I shut the car off after its warmed up and then wait a few minutes it does this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExqLcHyosB4

In the video i'm trying to hold RPMs and you can see it falling until I have to rev it up again. When it hits about 1k RPMs I get a check engine light. With my code reader I get the Lambda (emissions) Control code.

Nevermind the temp gauge, It sticks sometimes.

Parts replaced so far, O2 sensor, coil on plug, and vacuum lines.

Ideas?

intake leak of somesort? Have you done any welding in the last week?

Comment

No welding lately. I forgot to mention that it goes away after about 30 seconds.

Comment

Guessing it is electronics of somesort. Did you check the o2 sensor, ECU, and make sure everything has proper resistance. Check all fuses and relays

Comment

Yea, I'm thinking its electronics too. I am going to replace the engine coolant sensor and see if that helps. I don't remember it doing this in the summer but it could just be coincidence that its doing it now.

I have a new O2 and no known vacuum leaks or blown fuses.

Comment

i would check all hoses just to be sure. I had a bunch of slightly cracked hoses and replaced them to be safe. I also deleted the heater plate around the throttle body just to get rid of a cluster f**k of hoses.

so yea replace the sensor and see what happens, was just thinking: could it maybe be the cold start valve? Becuase when it seems to spike in RPM's maybe it is getting an excessive amount of gas? Mine kind of lops between 500k and 1500k then when it gets warmed up it stops. I think that is the cold start valve, trying to keep it warmed up?

GL

Comment

I hadn't thought about that. Do you have a part number?

I have checked the hoses. I spent almost $100 replacing all of them.

The only this is though, the spike in RPMs is me trying to keep them up high enough so it wont stall...

Comment

You dont need anything additional to delete the heater plate but 2' feet of hose, 2 rubber plugs and maybe a hose clamp or to. Do you need some pics? I am changing the injectors soon, and can snap some pics for you and get a full list of what i used.

My frind Leo (318ls--that is Ls) did the same thing. He might be able to anwser questions too, but he is rarely on.

Comment

a few questions:

Can it hold an idle when it does this.... or will it stall out?
                  Is it drivable when doing this?
                  Is this just on warm restart?
                  Does it happen intermittently, or every warm restart?
                  Does the problem go away after a while or get worse?

Does it start/run/drive fine cold?

Comment

Originally posted by BBY1104 View Post
                    Mine kind of lops between 500k and 1500k then when it gets warmed up it stops. I think that is the cold start valve, trying to keep it warmed up?
                    GL
                    Hey BBY1104 - I've heard that a cold idle surge can be a sign of a fuel pump on its way out.

Comment

Damn, might have to check on that! Thanks

I have tons of stuff to do to my car and plenty of stuff the fix. Guess that is why i bought it?

Comment

Are you certain that your AFM is working properly?

Trying to see what could go bad ,in the fuel and air delivery department?

I am almost out of ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Nomadic View Post
                          a few questions:

Can it hold an idle when it does this.... or will it stall out?
                          Is it drivable when doing this?
                          Is this just on warm restart?
                          Does it happen intermittently, or every warm restart?
                          Does the problem go away after a while or get worse?

Does it start/run/drive fine cold?

No it cannot hold idle while its doing this, it will stall.
                          Yes its drivable but i have to keep the RPMs up pretty high cause it has no power.
                          It is ONLY on a warm restart.
                          Every warm start it does it.
                          It only does it about 30 seconds. I have not noticed any change in over a month since it started doing it.

It does start, run and drive just fine when cold. It only does it on a warm restart and once its done choking it runs fine until I warm restart it.

Comment

Originally posted by BBY1104 View Post
                            Are you certain that your AFM is working properly?

Trying to see what could go bad ,in the fuel and air delivery department?

I am almost out of ideas
                            I am not sure the AFM is 100%. It did have an extension in the connector that I have since removed. There was no change in the symptoms though.

Comment

I got rid of the extension to. Does anyone have a 318is around you? Cause it seems to go away after it is warm right? See if you can borrow parts and plug and play and see what is wrong

Comment

Working...
                              X