m42 oil weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m42 oil weight

i know this has been asked, but i just wanted to confirm. the bentley says to use 15w50 oil but i read in some post that the m42 prefer 20w50, any confirmations on that? just wanted to know before i go and buy 5 quarts of the wrong weight, thanks.

I just filled up with Mobile1 full synthetic 15w50. I'd tend to trust the info in the Bentley, but realistically, there's probably no noticeable difference between 15w and 20w.
    www.SpitfireEFI.com Custom Megasquirt ECU's
    sigpic
    '91 318is

Comment

cool thnks.

Comment

20w50 is NOT recommended in an M42 (or any other DOHC BMW engine) it will starve the HVAs (lifters) 10w30 or 40 is fine for the M42 (latter DOHC engines require 5w30).

I strongly recommend synthetic

15w50 is also fine however in cold weather it will also starve the HVAs)

Comment

My dealer recommended 15w40. They advised against synthetic as it would most likely cause oil leaks that did not exist today with the thicker dino oil.
          Alpina B3 Flash/BMS OCC/ER CP/ETS 5/HKS BOV/M3 Control Arms/OFT

Comment

ok doing the oil change now. where in the world is the oil filter. the bently shows it but i can't find it on my 318 is. where in the world is the oil filter.

Comment

Originally posted by johnwoo View Post
              ok doing the oil change now. where in the world is the oil filter. the bently shows it but i can't find it on my 318 is. where in the world is the oil filter.

Comment

where is that in reference to everything i.e. drivers side passenger side?

Comment

where is that in reference to everything i.e. drivers side passenger side?
                  Oil filter housing is on the driver's side, forward section of the engine.

Comment

It's about dead center. When viewing the engine bay from the front left (drivers side) quarter panel, the filter housing is directly behind the radiator fan, next to the red dipstick handle.

Comment

thanks i found it and got the old cardtridge out. does anyone have the parts number for the cartridge and the seals.

Comment

also so what is the opinion on synthetic and dino? yeh or ney. i've heard so many sides to it. my first introduction to bmw so im not sure what to use.
                        i know in my older cars i just stik with dino oil

Comment

thanks i found it and got the old cardtridge out. does anyone have the parts number for the cartridge and the seals.
                          11-42-1-727-300

Comment

Originally posted by 808AWD325xi View Post
                            where did yo get this info from? its not in my bentley.

Comment

where did yo get this info from? its not in my bentley.

It's from the BMW E30 repair manual.

This website is for sale! ee1394.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, ee1394.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Working...
                              X