IE shorties weird thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IE shorties weird thing

Hi all, I recently picked up a pair of used IE shorties which i am putting on my build car very soon. Upon inspecting them recently it looks like there are small divets, almost like where the metal has deteriorated away near the cusp of each inlet. The pic below shows a lot of carbon buildup and residue from what looks like a bad seal or gasket but what bothers me the most are these divets in the metal which are going to introduce more leaks

Has anyone experienced this before?

Can I just have the plate sanded down but a machine shop to make it smooth again?

thanks
    '99 e46 323i - wrecked
    '87 e30 325iS - sold
    '91 e30 325i - sold
    '89 e30 M3 - fun car
    '09 e91 328i - sold
    '97 impreza - rally car - flipped
    '08 impreza - new rally car
    '01 996 tt - more fun car
    '82 Ford f350 - work truck

The divets you can see are probably from the exhaust gasket. It has a pressed metal layer and some of them come little bumps and stuff in the surface of the gasket. It's kind of normal, I suspect it's to do with bonding the gasket together and it's what left the marks behind. It won't cause any problems with it sealing properly as they have a flat smooth steel ring around each port kind of similar to a head gasket, it is responsible for doing the sealing. You can see the round rings it left on your manifold too.

Yours certainly failed in a few cylinders. If they blew and haven't been on the car very long, check to make sure the entire flange is flat. Will blow gaskets if it isn't. If it's flat, just clean it up with some scotchbrite pad or a bit of sandpaper and put it back into use, should be fine. If you are hyper worried, you can get some exhaust manifold silicone/cement and smear a little around the flange to make 100% sure it's not going to leak.
    Last edited by Madhatter; 05-10-2014, 01:11 AM.
    Just a little project im working on
    - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

Originally posted by Madhatter View Post
      , check to make sure the entire flange is flat. Will blow gaskets if it isn't.
      This, a long while ago there were some headers going out the door where the flange wasn't flat.

Easy fix with a disk sander/belt sander or at the most extreme, running it over to the machine shop.
      ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Working...
      X