No announcement yet.

New to E30 325is What OIL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aha! Thank you sir, finally a reply that makes some sense. Of course the valve train would be the major difference and indeed http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...1_15W-50_.aspx supports your statement - I guess I should've read that earlier. I guess that'll be going in in 4800 miles. What about the other concern though - i.e. cold weather starts?

Edit: further info on the topic, http://landroverforums.com/m_65996/mpage_2/tm.htm, post 15.
    Better URL to content above: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.p...topic&p=167978
    Last edited by nmlss2006; 05-24-2008, 07:56 PM. Reason: Added info

Comment

Originally posted by nmlss2006 View Post
      Aha! Thank you sir, finally a reply that makes some sense. Of course the valve train would be the major difference and indeed http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...1_15W-50_.aspx supports your statement - I guess I should've read that earlier. I guess that'll be going in in 4800 miles. What about the other concern though - i.e. cold weather starts?

Edit: further info on the topic, http://landroverforums.com/m_65996/mpage_2/tm.htm, post 15.
      Better URL to content above: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.p...topic&p=167978
      Probably not a well known fact but one of my jobs at BMW was to test things to destruction...
      Then go back to engineering...
      and tell them how and where they fucked up.

On the topic of cold starts:

I don't really know what to tell you.

Because of emissions the amount of zinc (worked as a sacrificial coating that would bond to metal parts) has been reduced in modern oils.

This is a problem for the older engine designs. Just don't rev them cold...

Comment

Well, I didn't even know that you used to have a job at BMW, so I learned two things.
        As to cold starts, I certainly don't rev engines when cold, but I also tend to change vehicles well in advance of the 100kmi mark. One E30 right now has 123kmi, I plan to keep it for another 123k or so, we'll see where that goes.
        Since I have you here and I think a lot of people beside me would benefit... what do you say IRT change intervals?

Comment

I change my oil about every 5k (even with synthetic)

Comment

20W 50 = happy E30's in texas for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by rwh11385 View Post

20w50
              We have a winnnnar!!111

Comment

Originally posted by DCColegrove View Post
                I change my oil about every 5k (even with synthetic)
                Yup, that's advantage of using synthetic for me. That and I was sold on Synthetic from my sportbike days after seeing the HUGE difference quality oil made in the transmission, ie smooth, precise shifting. Has to be good for the motor too.

Change when the weather warms up, change again when it cools back down.

Oh, 20w-50 Royal Purple, beat all but one oil on a wrist pin wear test, and I get it with my buddies employee discount.
                Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

didn't beat amsoil..

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                  @Zakspeed_US

Comment

5k it is, then. 4300 to go.

Comment

10-30 summer, 10-40 winter (NY)

if you wana go synthetic which..(which isnt really for these older engines) use ELF oil, coastly but its better than mobile 1. my reason for saying that is seeing the differences in all types of cars ive done oil changes on in the past 2-3 years at a shope i used to work at, the difference in the smell texture and visual BLACKness of oil between mobile 1 and elf is horrendice(sp). when i tell you every car with mobile 1's oil was black smelled more burnt than normal, i actually felt bad for the motors. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Greekstyles View Post

if you wana go synthetic which..(which isnt really for these older engines) use ELF oil, coastly but its better than mobile 1. my reason for saying that is seeing the differences in all types of cars ive done oil changes on in the past 2-3 years at a shope i used to work at, the difference in the smell texture and visual BLACKness of oil between mobile 1 and elf is horrendice(sp). when i tell you every car with mobile 1's oil was black smelled more burnt than normal, i actually felt bad for the motors. lol
                        Now there's a real expert for you....

Comment

Originally posted by Greekstyles View Post
                          Shouldn't that be the other way around?

Comment

Originally posted by DCColegrove View Post
                            Now there's a real expert for you....
                            Haha, I was going to reply but you did it in far less words and with a lot more style. +1

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal View Post
                              Haha, I was going to reply but you did it in far less words and with a lot more style. +1
                              I try really hard not to be sarcastic...

But it just kind of slips out at times.

Comment

Syn is probably better, but it likes to leak out a lot more than conventional in my M20.

Comment

Working...
                                X