Help: M technic suspension?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help: M technic suspension?

I've got an 1988 production month april . Im buying new Koni shocks for the car and I can't figure out whether or not it requires M-technic shocks or the plain style of Konis.

What do I look for under the fender wheels, strut housing lengths?
    Give me what you know

Your car isn't an m-technic unless it is a euro m-tech1 or an mtech 2 vert for the states. Even then, I can all but guarentee that you don't have m-technic shocks on your car.
    '88 M3.2 S54 Lachssilber/Black
    '07 335i Alpine/Black Sedan
    '12 X5 3.5i Alpine/Black
    iS Splitters For Sale, PM ME!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by M3 Ryan View Post
      Your car isn't an m-technic unless it is a euro m-tech1 or an mtech 2 vert for the states. Even then, I can all but guarentee that you don't have m-technic shocks on your car.
      So then my euro Mtech 2 parts car has the Factory sportier struts and the stock lower springs right? Too bad i don't have anything to swap it with since it has to stay a rolling chassis to scrap here. The only thing that gets me is my car has a Mtech 1 wheel on it
      Originally posted by Nicademus
      My car beats off to that car. :bow:

Comment

Early M-technic springs(not sports) had pink paint swabs on them.
        Keith

"Die feine Art, schnell zu sein."
        "I don't have a gambling problem, my gambling pays for my e30 addiction."

Comment

So Ryan--the 88 325 I'm working on for the wife has these Sachs rear shocks on it. They say "E30 M Technik" and have a part # that isn't listed on realoem. What are they?

Comment

Gotta pic? someone probably changed them at some point. These cars are getting old ya know.
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Here's a photo:
              Attached Files

Comment

Back from the dead. Anyone have info on these?
                Attached Files

Comment

Bump...
                  The Definitive 1991 M-Technic Thread - a work in progress

Comment

To the best of my knowledge, these are factory fitted shocks on models with m technic suspension. In the us, the only car that had that suspension is the 91 m technic convertible and the m3. I don't know much else about these as there are better, more available shocks that cost less. I do know that m3's came with boge shocks while these are Sachs. I don't know if the companies were merged together when the cars were new but they are the same company now. Both were low pressure gas shocks.
                    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

Found this:

You were looking for suspension part numbers for the convertible M-tech suspension.. From what I can tell, there's not a great deal of difference between the normal convertible suspension and the m-tech suspension.

On the front:
                      struts - 31321133560 (also used on 318iC?)
                      springs - 31331131333 (on some non-AC US E30s and lots of Euros)
                      absorber (bumpstop) - 31331133513

On the rear:
                      shocks - 33521132123 (also used on 318iC?)
                      rear stabilizer bar (14.5mm) - 33551129194 (also used on E30 M3)
                      stabilizer bar bushings - 33551130349 (also used on E30 M3)

For the struts and shocks, there are two entries under the 318iC, one that is the normal one and one that says "only applies to M technic" - both entries have the same part numbers. That's why I put the question mark beside the 318iC. As far as I can tell, everything else is the same (suspension wise).

Keith
                      www.e30ic.com
                      Which appears to confirm that shocks on the m-tech are the same as on the convertible, with different bump stops and a different rear sway bar. I'll see when I pull mine apart.

Comment

I take it u have a 91-92 318iC? Please let us know what u find out.

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                          I take it u have a 91-92 318iC? Please let us know what u find out.
                          No, I have a 1991 M-Technic (S771A).

Comment

Originally posted by P.Kelly View Post
                            Found this:

Which appears to confirm that shocks on the m-tech are the same as on the convertible, with different bump stops and a different rear sway bar. I'll see when I pull mine apart.
                            This confuses me as we only got M Tech cabrio's here in the US. If you have a 91 M Technic (FULL), then you should have the m technic suspension with shocks as well.

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                              This confuses me as we only got M Tech cabrio's here in the US. If you have a 91 M Technic (FULL), then you should have the m technic suspension with shocks as well.
                              Do you have conflicting part number for the M-Technic suspension?

If you look up the parts for the M-Technic (S771A) suspension most of the parts are cobbled together from other E30s. From what I can tell the only unique part if the front bump stop. The rest is from a 318iC or an M3, unless the BMW parts catalog is wrong (very possible).

I haven't yet taken mine apart to refresh it to confirm what is actually on the car.

Comment

Working...
                              X