Frank's E30 M60 V8 Swap Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frank's E30 M60 V8 Swap Build Thread

So here is the swap build thread of my E30 M60 swap – Most of this is “PLANNED” and hasn’t been built/incorporated yet, but provisions are being made to execute to this plan.

E30 – 1989 325is/5– 70k original miles, Bronzit. And yes, I love the color having been recently repainted.

E34 – M60 Engine out of a running 540i/6 – 123k. This was my daily driver up until I began disassembly in mid-Jan 2012

Cooling – E34 540i Radiator with a SPAL 16” fan. Push/Pull & P/N to be determined

Transmission/shifter – 6 speed with shortened shifter. (short shift kit is TBD at this moment. Not sure if I want to go this route)

Differential – S3.15

Electrical – Simple use of X20/C101 adapter with corresponding pin mating. Should be easy. I’m thinking about a Mark D chip to add some extra usable torque. Not sure about this yet.

Steering – 1995 M3 3.0 turns lock-to-lock short ratio. Small M-Tech I Steering wheel (370mm). Steering shaft Mod to remove rubber bushing – Using E34 steering knuckles connected via straight length of pipe.

Suspension – Bilstein HD shocks with stock M3 springs. Turnermotorsport sway bar kit to keep the car level in the turns.

Driveline – UUC E39 Clutch kit & lightweight flywheel combo, driveshaft professionally shortened by Driveline service of Atlanta. Engine mount brackets came from www.e30.de and I went with motor-position II (the more rearward position). I used the Stock E34 M60 motor mounts.

Exhaust – Custom exhaust branching off of E39 540i headers (4 into 1)

Brakes – www.300mm.de Cross-drilled 312/394mm rotors with caliper adapters for installing E34 540i calipers. Lucky for me, I had the calipers already on my 540i. Easy part out. UUC stainless steel brake line kit. ABS being relocated to a TBD location. Likely will be moved behind passenger strut tower. Pedal setup has been completely modified. Using complete E34 linkage system, including the E34 Master Cylinder.

Wheels/Tires – Azev A 16x7.5 ET20 with 225/45R16 BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDW 2

Timeline for project – I started the project on Jan 20th, 2012 and I want to be done 100% with this car by Gutenfest timeframe (Late May). If finished by then, I likely will not be bringing it to Gutenfest due to the long drive and questionable reliability so early-on (kinks need to be worked out as you drive).

See below for my timeline that I made on excel for the tasks I need to complete each month:

Overall goals – I want this car to look, handle, and drive completely stock with a very moderate drop. It will be modified by only factory parts. i.e. moonroof, ‘is sideskirts, radio…etc. No ebay crap, shortcuts, or subpar quality. It will have factory options including a fully functioning climate control system (AC & Heat), Factory weight distribution, and interior. This car will be an occasional daily driver and there are no plans for it to see the track. It will be a cruiser to be reserved for car shows and I plan not to drive it in the snow or rain unless absolutely necessary. It will be garaged every day of its life and will be indulged to the T.

Start of project – Jan 20th.

Here is the E30:

Here is the E34 from which the M60 came:

Taking the M60 out:

This is me doing some organizing. Note the Rockwell Jawhorse in the background. Hands down, my FAVORITE tool!

Started disassembling the interior - Replacing cracked dash

Got the M20 out and all other peripherals and is just about ready for the M60:

Original Pedal setup - Needed to be modified to hook up to E34 Linkage

Painted parts:

My first time welding, but it's pretty strong:

M60 waiting to be test fit:

Cleaned up the E30 engine bay - Shaved unnecessary bracketry:

Some extra parts lying around, including 95 m3 Rack, 540i calipers, E34 Brake setup, and some other shit:

I'm running out of room!!!

Some pics of the modified firewall. I need to figure out what to do with the heater core inlet/outlet as it would be a direct interference with the cylinder head given the rearward position of the engine that I desire:

Tires: BFGoodrich 225/45/16

Yesterday, I threw the engine in there to test fit: It was a shoehorn, but it worked.

Test Fit Complete:

Recent Rebranding!!
    Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
    E30 SM62/S62
    E30 M60 V8
    E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
    Instagram.com/garageaholic
    Youtube.com/garageaholic

wow Frank that is awesome.. have you decided what you're gonna do as far as brake booster setup... is the m60 setup a direct replace and bolt on, or do you need to fab something? i am so excited. i would love to do this if i could do it under 100k... but right now i am so scared it might eradicate my checking account..hehe
    sigpic

Comment

God damn this is going to be good.
      Denny

Blogs:
      http://bmw325e30.blogspot.com/ (restoration)
      http://bmw325e30turbo.blogspot.com (Twincharge M20)
      http://bmw325e30m62b44.blogspot.ca/

Comment

Sticking with the original design E34 system. It takes modification at the Pedals to get the brake pivot point 3.5" to the left so that it would clear the passenger cylinder head. For the rest of the linkage system, I plan to use the E34 links and shorten some of them a bit because the E30 engine bay is smaller. There's a lot of bracketry fabrication, but nothing too serious. You just don't' want to fool around with the brakes. Make sure it's right the first time.

The M60 to E30 swap requires significant modifications to the body, the engine, and rest of drivetrain depending on how you do it. I'm doing 6 speed, so it requires further mods to the driveshaft.

100k dollars?! That's insane. That's 10x what you could do this swap for if you're thrifty and creative.
        Recent Rebranding!!
        E30 SM62/S62
        E30 M60 V8
        E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

haha, cool. that does sound pretty safe, you are right, no need to mess around with brakes...

yea 100k is a bit much, i am just kiddin.. i am subscribed... i will watch this closely..

good luck Frank
          sigpic

Comment

Definitely in for this!

Take lots of pictures of the remote booster setup please! Modifications, brackets, etc.

Comment

Nice Frank! You going to cut notch the body to make the e34 540i radiator fit vs. going with aftermarket s52/s54 rad?

- Lol at the comment about not messing with the brakes, either way YOU ARE messing with the brakes to make either the e34 system work or wilwood/tilton setup work. Nothing is plug and play here at all :)
              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Finally... you're such a lurker, lol!

Your timeline is tight! And what do you mean "even if I get it done before G-fest, I probably won't drive it down" WTF is that? You are obliged to drive it down if it's done... I'm trying to get mine done for G-fest also...

If that banjo bolt is what's holding you up from being done, you should have it tomorrow... geez, get it done already, haha!

Garey

Comment

HAHA

Ok, so anyone looking to do the M60 swap, just know that you're in for a wild ride. It's NOT M50, or even M30. I'm not new to engine swaps. See my signature for the M30 swap. Every aspect of this swap, and I mean EVERY aspect, requires significant rework and/or total rebuild from the ground up. As you might have already read on the forums, the brakes require the most significant modifications. While this may be true, know that steering, cooling, shifter...etc all need to be customized for your specific needs.

Jean, for my swap, I wish to keep this setup as stock as possible and it is worth modifying the frame rails slightly to get the E34 radiator to fit. My M30 swap utilized the E28 535i radiator. And yes, while thin and a direct plug-and-play, it does not cool the engine nearly enough and requires a SPAL fan to cool adequately.

For those of you who haven't seen it, I have an M30 swapped E30 as well. Was turbo'd, but I don't like turbo's. I like N/A.

yes, I could have done LS1, but there's something about having a stock setup while maintaining BMW heritage. It just looks so pretty in there. See Garey's Sig!

I don't know about you guys, but I have to drive 3 hours just to get to G-fest. If I finish the swap 2 days before and hadn't had enough time to test drive all the kinks out, I might end up having a very shitty and potentially expensive weekend!!! We'll see!
                  Recent Rebranding!!
                  E30 SM62/S62
                  E30 M60 V8
                  E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

^^ your words are discouraging. I have never done a non-oem engine swap before, and I am diving into my M60 swap (into my euro E28) this summer.

However, I absolutely do have fab capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
                      ^^ your words are discouraging. I have never done a non-oem engine swap before, and I am diving into my M60 swap (into my euro E28) this summer.

However, I absolutely do have fab capabilities.
                      You have fab capabilities, decent tools, a drive, and these forums, then you're already ahead of the game.

Maybe I'll consolidate all this info in one concise swap writeup, similar (yet more comprehensive & complete) to my m30 writeup over the summer.....
                      Recent Rebranding!!
                      E30 SM62/S62
                      E30 M60 V8
                      E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Originally posted by FrankM E30 View Post

Maybe I'll consolidate all this info in one concise swap writeup, similar (yet more comprehensive & complete) to my m30 writeup over the summer.....
                        Now that would be fantastic.
                        Last edited by iamsam; 02-13-2012, 10:19 PM.

Comment

DO WERK SON! Cannot wait for you to finish it. Then I cannot wait for dude8383 to start his so I can have fun with it lol
                          My Seller/Buyer Feedback

Performance Aftermarket Parts & Accessories

Comment

Subscribing for awesomeness!
                            IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

oh, and obligatory demand for updates.

Comment

Working...
                              X