Rear vs Front Sway Bar...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear vs Front Sway Bar...

What is more important for getting natural oversteer? Rear or front sway bar.. I've heard e30s are special when it comes to this shit and have seen forums clashing on this topic.
    So... soft rear with stiff front? or stiff rear and soft front?
    I'm mainly trying to get rid of understeer. I have h&r race, bilstein, 16" wheels all around with continental contact tires.
    I've heard of people running no rear sway bar but wanted to know if this idea applied to e30s too?

Thanks... I'm new to this forum thing lol...
    Last edited by Big_sohc; 02-03-2016, 10:52 PM.

I read that
    softer springs, big front sway bar=oversteer
    or
    stiffer springs, big rear sway bar also = oversteer

true?

Comment

I used to run a larger front/stock rear sway bars in my S13 on a nice set of coilovers adjusted just a bit past half on dampening. The ass always wanted to come around on it.

completely different suspension setup though.
      -89' 320iT, Brilliantrot
      -15' 320i, Glacier Silver Metallic

Comment

Generally, the stiffer end of the car will slide first. So if the front is stiffer than the rear, you will get understeer, if the rear is stiffer than the front, you will get oversteer.

Comment

Originally posted by Big_sohc View Post
          I read that
          softer springs, big front sway bar=oversteer
          or
          stiffer springs, big rear sway bar also = oversteer

true?
          Not really

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
          Generally, the stiffer end of the car will slide first. So if the front is stiffer than the rear, you will get understeer, if the rear is stiffer than the front, you will get oversteer.
          This is the correct answer

Comment

Folks generally remove their sway bars to gain suspension articulation for off roading.

Normally when you want more oversteer you stiffen the rear or soften the front. If you'd like the try it you can disconnect either of your bars and remember that you only need to disconnect one side.

Also remember that oversteer and understeer can be induced by driving line/style/throttle/braking, so check the nut behind the wheel. Check out the Motor Trend Racing Line series of videos on youtube.

Whatever you do, don't crash in to anything, and as with any change to your handling work your way in to the new limits slowly.

Comment

I just got a front 22mm IE adjustable front sway bar and the rear is stock. I’m researching mostly to find out if the stiffer front will make driving awkward or dangerous until someone decides to sell a beefy rear sway bar.

Seems that I will be ok if this thread is good? I’m not racing or crossing, just enjoy driving my car.
              My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
              I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

You will be fine. the 22mm front w/ stock rear is good for a spirited driver. It gives you a bit more dive-in without going to crazy. It's a pretty common SpecE30 setup.
                ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
                  You will be fine. the 22mm front w/ stock rear is good for a spirited driver. It gives you a bit more dive-in without going to crazy. It's a pretty common SpecE30 setup.
                  Thanks for the input.
                  My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
                  I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Working...
                  X