No announcement yet.

Herp de derp M60 in progress - track day complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made it to dyno day! First long drive, did about 60 miles round trip.
    Day before, i lost another guibo nut. I've locktited and double nutted some of the nuts now.
    Coming back from the dyno however, i started to hear loose bolts again from something. Arg. More loctite somewhere else I'm guessing.

Anyways:

241whp/252wtq. A little low IMO. AFR is at like 14-15 until high rpm which isn't great. Only CEL I have is 1263 for EVAP (which i dont have). I tried wiring a 12ohm first then a 24ohm resistor in but I'm still getting the code. I will do a smoke test, and get a tuned chip asap. Maybe catless/headers/intake are just running too lean.

Dyno run (i was the loudest car there):
    We're in deep now boys
    1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
    1988 340iL - Track car
    My M60 V8 swap thread here
    [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Cool! Much appreciated for the replies.

When I mock mine up (I bought mine 1 year ago so no mods ) I’ll see about turning back that lip for easier access, weld on those mounting nuts and clearance as per your pic.
      I was also going to add 1 or 2 braces from the dash lip to the firewall to flex when braking or clutching fast and hard. My friend did this swap and took the whole dash apart to rectify the feel. Loves the direct pedal feel now.

Looking forward to when you get time for the pics. I was wondering about how to cleanly pass thru the firewall with the piping and clearing all that’s in the way and limiting heat. Any thoughts to AN fittings at one point?

What was the original mileage on your motor?
      245 hp at the wheels after parasitic driveline loss ( say 15% ) would leave you with ~280 at the crank.....

Comment

Originally posted by pondhopper View Post
        What was the original mileage on your motor?
        245 hp at the wheels after parasitic driveline loss ( say 15% ) would leave you with ~280 at the crank.....
        Motor was stated to be out of a '95 740iL with 118k, I've verified the car is correct. The condition of the motor seems consistent with ~110k with decent maintenance. It is a Nikasil block, but supposedly a California car. Leakdown tested no problem. I noticed minor oil sludge build up in the head, but nothing major. Probably a nice hot track day with synthetic oil will clean it all up. Its possible my cam timing needs to be readjusted as well.

I've talked to Jay at SSSquid tuning, and he says my 14-15AFR is normal for a stock motor/tune. I will be buying a stage 1.0 M60b40 tune from him in the next couple months, and I expect to pick up a few HP. I would say that my motor feels and sounds healthy. Dynos are all different so its hard to compare.
        We're in deep now boys
        1988 340iL - Track car
        [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Boring update.
          Getting some VDO gauges wired in, got my matching passenger bucket seat in.
          Driving the car around, its very stressful. I can only do about 25miles at a time before I want to just go home.

Issues:
          Oil pressure : Idle (Cold) ~60psi, Idle (Hot) ~20psi, on throttle (hot) ~ 60psi. seems good.
          Steering pump makes the whole car groan, only at full lock, only one side.
          I think the weird rotation intermittent sound im hearing is a part of the old slave cylinder that exploded in my bellhousing bouncing around
          Needs alignment
          Dash temp and econ gauge have a weird jitter, they make a small movement almost on a beat. Some weird electrical thing.
          Really need a DSSR
          Need more tire
          We're in deep now boys
          1988 340iL - Track car
          [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

If someone comments on this bump, then ill update this thread.
            We're in deep now boys
            1988 340iL - Track car
            [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Originally posted by dasmanschaft012 View Post

no comment.
              85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
              e30 restoration and V8 swap
              24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Not sure if serious
                Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Always happy to follow V8 progress

Comment

Alright people replied

Things have been crazy last couple months.

Sold my C6,

bought a e46 wagon for daily:

Had that for 6 days then was rear ended and totalled, hit and run.

8 days after the accident, i bought another e46 wagon for daily:

And 24hours later, it was rear ended and totalled, uninsured driver.

2 weeks later, I bought a e46 sedan. Not a wagon, but it goes A to B and I like the Farngrun metallic.

Really not much work on the e30, been out of cash due to accidents and other life stuff. Got some happy flaps. Theyll probably scrap but I've always wanted a OEM set.

Unstickerbombed and repainted driver door:

Got a better rear bumper cover so painted that as well.
                    There was 2 layers of paint, and 2 layers of plastidip on this bumper.

Heatsleeve on everything

This stupid pickup has been taking all my time. Rebuilt the 22r, refreshing the entire truck. '83 SR5 pickup.

Went to the Garagistic meet

Finally bought wheels and tires, once the accident stuff cleared up. The usual TRM C1, 15x8 +20 with 225/45/15 Federal RSR-R. Cheap and sticky. I'd like to run wider, but there aren't any wheels out there right now that I like the fitment of.

Now that funds are going, got a DSSR

Downpipes out to get ceramic coated

Now that I have 15s, I can finally install my RX7 BBK on the front. Needs spacer, cant even tighten the wheel down.

Finally gave in and bought Motorsport Hardware studs/nuts and 12mm spacers for the front.

No touching! now. Tires might rub, need to roll or i can run 8mm of spacer instead.

I'm not happy with how much my e36M3 driveshaft engages. Not enough spline engagement, thats about 1.5" of spline showing with the center nut still on.

I need a longer front section. Anyone have any input on what they used?

How she sits right now. Front's off to adjust oil lines.

Aiming for track day in December. Throwing money at problems now.
                    Totally different car with the wheels and tires, i can actually drive it now!
                    We're in deep now boys
                    1988 340iL - Track car
                    [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

And last piece I need for my last gauge (oil temp).
                      F*** ECS, too bad theyre buying up all the small guys (Turner, Pelican).
                      Unfortunately, this old Turner design is the only one sold today.
                      We're in deep now boys
                      1988 340iL - Track car
                      [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Issues:
                        Oil pressure : Idle (Cold) ~60psi, Idle (Hot) ~20psi, on throttle (hot) ~ 60psi. seems good.
                        Steering pump makes the whole car groan, only at full lock, only one side.
                        I think the weird rotation intermittent sound im hearing is a part of the old slave cylinder that exploded in my bellhousing bouncing around
                        Needs alignment
                        Dash temp and econ gauge have a weird jitter, they make a small movement almost on a beat. Some weird electrical thing.
                        Really need a DSSR
                        Need more tire
                        I stalk the v8 forum for all the problems you'll face with the M6x motor swap.
                        Please update it really helps Das...........

Comment

No real "solved problems" lately. Haven't driven the car hardly at all in the last few months except to the tire shop last week.
                          Still hear the weird "nut bouncing around" sound occasionally.
                          We're in deep now boys
                          1988 340iL - Track car
                          [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

I care.

Sent from my BND-L34 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dothadance View Post
                              i care.

Sent from my bnd-l34 using tapatalk
                              ;) ;) ;) ;)
                              We're in deep now boys
                              1988 340iL - Track car
                              [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Dang man, the universe doesn't want you to have a wagon.
                                sigpic

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=420591 5.3 LSA build in progress :devil:

Comment

Working...
                                X