Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another for the Collection - Mtech 2 Vert S50!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Codym42 View Post
    Most e34 pans have the windage tray built-in like yours. Others have a separate tray that attaches to the bottom of the engine.

Any preference to which is better for a swap?

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
    1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
    1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
    1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
    1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
    1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
    Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
    1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
    1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

Ok so another update, and its not S50 related since FCP takes stupid long to send parts with the free shipping option. Euroweaves. I had a set of euroweaves on my old white coupe I'm sure a few remember, well I ran into the owner of that car during bimmerfest and noticed the wheels were removed from the car for some reason. I asked about them and I guess the story goes he hit a pot-hole which cracked one of the wheels extremely bad (pics bellow..) and curbed the other one beyond fixing. He had them sitting in his garage for some time and he said I could have them if I wanted. I ended up helping him out with a dash swap and took them as a trade for my labor. Two of the four wheels are still in good shape.

Well, two replacement wheels just arrived in the mail, I bought one new center cap at work (he had 3 of the 4, someone apparently stole the other?) so I just need to get the two wheels and one cap powdercoated the same color I had the other two done a few years back, and get these bad boy's mounted on the car.

Comment

Originally posted by KIRIEIW View Post
        Any preference to which is better for a swap?
        Some people have issues with the e34 windage tray contacting the crank. I got lucky and my windage tray was bolted (and not riveted) to the oil pan. I simply unbolted it and used the windage tray that came on the bottom of my engine.
        '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
        '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

I should be updating this thing as I go. Got a good amount of work done, at the moment I'm waiting for my Dad to come back into town so we can start the reassembly process. Since the S50's on a stand at his house, I wanted to reseal the entire engine along with install the e34 pan/ oil pick up which is needed to clear the e30 subframe. Whoever found out a e34 M50 oil pan bolts up directly to a S50, you deserve an applause sir.

While taking care of other business, I dropped the two euroweaves off at the powdercoaters last week and had a chance to pick them up today. The color isn't a perfect match, but very close. It's the same exact color and brand I went with last time, I guess brake dust and usage in general changed the shade of silver over the past few years of use.

I also worked on the valve cover, and coil cover. Not sure what the previous owner of the M3 was thinking but he painted the valve cover red, and the coil cover blue so I had to get to town and strip off all the paint. Took a few hours, but I'm fairly happy. I was really scared the stripper would ruin the plastic coil cover because its some really harsh crap, and didn't say anywhere on the packaging its plastic safe, so I worked fast with it and washed it off with water. Only flaw at this point is the silver "BMW M Power" was removed by the stripper, which I knew would happen but was the right decision if you ask me because no way in hell was I going to use a blue cover, even if he did mask off the silver lettering. It's actually pretty damn flawless besides that issue.

Besides that, I gave the car a much needed wash last week and put it under the car cover while I wait on reassembling the S50. I plan on taking about 5 days off work to get this beast in. I've got so much crap going on at the moment I guess I need to take things one step at a time.

The two new powdercoated wheels vs the original.

A poor "test fit" just to get an idea of how it would look all black.

DON'T MIND THE PIECE OF DIRT IN THE PIC.
          I removed it shortly after, I should have removed it before the pic but I got too excited seeing how nice the crosshatching was and took my phone out quickly to snap the pic lol.

The other two projects at the moment occupying me more then needed on the weekends.

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 08-14-2018, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Lookin' awesome! If you don't mind me asking, does your wheel guy also repair "flat spots" on the lips/wheels and fix curbing?

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
            1983 Peugeot 505 STI
            1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
            2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
              Lookin' awesome! If you don't mind me asking, does your wheel guy also repair "flat spots" on the lips/wheels and fix curbing?

Whats up dude long time no talk :). Unfortunately nope he doesn't, in fact the shop doesn't even specialize in wheels, they just powdercoat anything you bring thru the door. Before I dropped them off I used some air tools and a file to grind down any bad curb rash I saw (actually only one wheel had curb rash). It was still really visible when I dropped them off but he put on a nice thick coat which filled in all the imperfections, I'm super happy.

Comment

Lots of work got done yesterday. Got the e34 pan on, e34 oil pick up, new oil pump chain and main timing chain, new timing chain guides, red loctite on the oil pump nut and safety wire, front timing covers, water pump, and the head installed. My Dad said he's going to bring back a torque wrench from his work so we can get that front crankbolt torqued before installing her into the Mtech, as of now its "loosely" air impacted on. In reality its pretty tight but not even close to the 300ft pounds or whatever it needs to be at.

There are lots of different routes on getting the e34 pan installed on the S50. I talked to my Dad about them and we decided to use the S50 windage tray rather then the built in e34 one which is attached to the e34 pan. We also removed the crankshaft cap completely to remove the bracket for the S50 oil pick up, rather then break off/ bend the bracket off like some suggest doing on here, which would leave you with half of a broken bracket stuck in your engine. Of course, removing the cap means you can get a peek at your crankshaft main bearing and oh man was she pretty. I'm kicking myself for not taking a pic now, my Dad was laughing cause he knows I like to take pics for the build thread. It was really in that good of shape.

After getting the crankshaft cap torqued to spec and e34 pick up/ pan torqued and installed we focused on the front timing covers which went on easy enough. We coated the paper gaskets in permatex to assure no leaks and torqued the timing cover to spec. Lastly the head went on. I cleaned up mating surfaces with a scraper and gave it a final whip down with rubbing alcohol, cleaned out all the head bolt holes, and on the head went.

Before with the S50 oil pick up installed and bracket

Afterwords with the e34 oil pick up installed

Torquing the head bolts

Packed up for the night

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 08-18-2018, 09:14 AM.

Comment

This is getting better all the time.
                  Last edited by Cha Ching; 08-24-2018, 12:48 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Got the euroweaves mounted and balanced! I think they're going to look sweet on the car but might hold off until the S50's installed. Yesterday I got the Vanos installed (with new Beisan Systems O rings) and engine timed with my Dad, plus a few other misc parts installed like spark plugs and the oil filter housing. The build's slow on weekdays but soon enough it'll be back together.

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 08-22-2018, 07:45 AM.

Comment

A+

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Got the new valve cover gasket installed along with brand new belt tensioner pulleys. The dust covers for the pulleys were missing so I also bought brand new ones from the dealer. For those wondering, that's the BMW approved sealant for doing M50-M54 valve cover gaskets. Your supposed to apply a little bit of sealant on the front and backsides of the cylinder head before installing the new valve cover gasket. It's basically just RTV, but that the part number for the BMW stuff for those interested.

I also re installed the power steering pump and alternator. Just placed my 4th parts order? Maybe 5th since starting this swap. I decided to buy that main coolant hose which goes under the intake manifold brand new and a few other bits like an aluminum water pump pulley, rather then re use the stock plastic one.

Lastly I've been doing a little research on wiring. I think this is the correct wiring for my 92' convertible but I could be mistaken. The C101 connector wiring from my understanding remained unchanged from 1990-1992, and my cars a 1992. I'll still need to do a bit more research to confirm but for now its something I guess.

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 09-28-2018, 10:15 PM.

Comment

M20 is out! I got it out yesterday after a few hours of grunt work. I surprised myself and somehow got it all out in one piece, even left the oil cooler attached. Tight squeeze but it couldn't have worked out better.

Today I did only an hour or so of work. I scrubbed the engine bay up and what better time to do the blower motor then now? Its been broken since I bought the car and forgot to replace it when I did the head gasket (intake manifold was removed at that time so plenty of room to get in and replace it). The engine bay is pretty sorted out I think at this point, I don't want to delete any brackets or repaint bay. Just leave it factory fresh.

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 09-03-2018, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Booster is out! Going to have my Dad modify the shaft for me which is well documented here for future swap guys:
                            https://www.rjnunnally.com/fitting-an-ate-porsche-944-brake-booster-to-an-e30-part-ii/

I also decided at the last minute that I'm going to swap a e36 rack into this thing. I did a lot of debating on leaving the stock rack but the reality is if you ever want to swap the rack to a quicker ratio, this is the time. You just have so much room with the engine removed to get the new rack bolted in and do the modification's needed to get a e36 rack installed into the car in the first place.

Comment

Kev, couple friends w/swapped E30's say the 944 booster is the best way to go. Where did you get yours?

Comment

E90 booster works as well as the clio booster. E90 is for sale in the classifeds last time I looked.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X