Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery Tray- Inspecting for Rust

Hey Guys,

This is a stupid question, I am looking into 325 E30 ownership, I currently have an 84 318. I've found a southern car on the other side of the country, I've asked a couple times for battery box pictures to insure the car has no rust and he hasn't provided them.

He sent me a picture of the battery compartment with the battery in it and I talked to HIS mechanic and he said he looked in the compartment but didn't move the tray. He said it looked good but the tray bolts where a little corroded so he didn't remove them.

How hard is it to take out the battery and remove the tray so you can see what condition the battery box is in?

I see these empty battery box pictures on BAT all the time, but it seems like if you leave the tray in there then you can't really get a good look at the battery box.

Let me know what you think, buying a car sight unseen is kind of dodgy. Am I being a wuss?

Thanks,

Ben

It's pretty easy to do shouldn't take anyone more than 10 minutes. Just remove the battery terminals, remove battery, and the tray has 2 bolts that hold it in place. From there its just removing the tray.

Had to do it this weekend to fix some rust, but for me it was just some surface rust and a little scale. So I vacuumed it out, took a wire wheel to everything for about 20-30min, vacuumed again. Then put down three coats of rust converter with about 10 or 15 minutes between coats. Finished it off with self etching primer.

It took 2 days cause I let the rust converter cure overnight.

My Daily Driven 318is

Comment

Working...
    X