Frame Rustproofing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frame Rustproofing

I am repairing rust in my left front frame. I have fabricated a new inner reinforcement and outer skin. I am priming with weld thru primer and will try to paint what I can before closing thing up. But I want to add an additional layer of rust prevention. Recomendations? Bodycavity wax? Cosmoline? Frame preserver?

Eastwood's makes a product called Internal Frame coating, it has a little hose with a spray end on the cap that you can snake in through the frame. I have a can that I haven't used yet but it seems like a good product from my research

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

I use Tectyl 185 GW, it stinks for a couple days, but have never found anything that lasts longer. I do not drive my E30s in the winter, but still did them to keep clean. My Tacoma frame lasted a couple years with it on (sold it), where Lanolin based stuff like Fluid Film only lasted one winter.

Comment

Definitely cosmoline.

There is a reason auto makers still use it for cars crossing the ocean.
        Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Thanks. I had purchased a can of the Eastwood frame preserver, but haven’t used it. There was also a sale on spray cosmoline since I made this post. I think I’ll use the frame preserver and after it sets up shoot the cosmoline into all the opening I can as it can get into small nooks and crannies.

Comment

I used the Eastwood frame saver today. Ran it through the left front frame repair I fabricated as well as behind a repair to the inner rocker. It is pretty thin which allowed it to drip through the mating of the inner/outer rocker, which is good. If you use it you’ll need a spray can of their paint prep or something similar to clean out the tube/nozzle or it will be a one time use.

Comment

Working...
            X