Right here.

Suck it in.

Enjoy it.

Enjoy it.

Oh, I'm enjoying it.

This is glorious.

Alright.

I'm spent.

Man, I'm glad you're letting everybody know that a thicker head gasket does not lower the compression ratio. I bet they were getting confused there, thinking that it does lower the compression ratio- because like you said, it doesn't.
    Hey,

you're really cool. you didn't bother reading the first post did you?
    Last edited by X2theZ3; 03-06-2006, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Er, I can't tell if you're making fun of him for stating that the headgasket won't change the compression ratio, or if you're confused, yourself.

A thicker headgasket = a lower CR. By more than you might think, actually.

Comment

Originally posted by X2theZ3
        btw, people change their headgaskets in favor of thicker ones to hold up to the boost, not to lower compression ratio (which it does not).
        :heehee:

Seriously, you are DEAD wrong.

To answer the original question of the thread-- supercharger is the way to go unless you are familiar with building custom turbo kits.

A supercharger kit is bolt-on. You won't need to lower your compression, and you can make enough power to easily overwhelm the e30's chassis.

Used Dinan CF kits come up for sale pretty often, and there are a few new kits that are relatively inexpensive.

Generally, you can safely boost up to about 10psi on the M50/S50 engines on the stock compression ratio.
        '91 318is
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Insanity
          Er, I can't tell if you're making fun of him for stating that the headgasket won't change the compression ratio, or if you're confused, yourself.

Probably the latter.

Learn something new everyday.

IC. I googled it. Thanks for the correction.

Head-Gasket Volume

Head-gasket volume is determined by the compressed thickness of the gasket. A thicker gasket adds volume and reduces compression; a thinner gasket reduces volume and increases compression.

A gasket’s compressed thickness is listed in the manufacturer’s catalog and ranges from 0.051 inch to 0.015 inch. Also, the gasket bore is often larger than the engine bore; a 4.100-inch gasket is common. In our example, we assumed a head gasket with a 4.000-inch bore. Once you know the compressed thickness and gasket bore, here’s how to calculate the volume that the gasket will add to the combustion area:

In our example with a 0.038-inch thickness and 4.000-inch bore, the gasket adds 0.478 ci to the volume of the cylinder. If we used a thinner 0.015-inch gasket and made no other changes, the compression ratio would increase from 8.84:1 to 9.27:1.
          Last edited by X2theZ3; 03-06-2006, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ehlpitel
            Yeah, some guy over on bimmerforums is making 543rwhp on a m52 with only studs and a head gasket

WRONG!

he is making 635rwhp @25psi on 110 octane mad spinage can't hook it up!!!
            best trap is 135mph which is good for tens but has only gotten to low-mid 11's because of not being able to hook up.

name is ulysses goes by cardcounter on there.

Mike Fritz

Comment

Originally posted by Insanity

Hmmm....

Sarcasm meter is off eh?

(I was making fun of him)

Doing something M50 related? -> http://www.addissimo.com
              On Myspace? ->http://groups.myspace.com/r3vlimited
              BF2142 SN = BillyGoose

Comment

Fuck it, just do both ya puss :)
                Rollin' with a Geistkuchen

Comment

Hey,

you're really cool. you didn't bother reading the first post did you?
                  Not as cool as you, you big, cool guy you.
                  My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerphile
                    Not as cool as you, you big, cool guy you.
                    my mountains are better than yours.

Comment

my mountains are better than yours.

If you say so. You're the expert.
                      My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerphile
                        If you say so, you're the expert.

Comment

Working...
                        X