Installing an OE m44 electric fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by varg View Post
    Not worth it. If you lose a couple of inches of coolant from the radiator for some reason, the switch is no longer submerged and the fan doesn't turn on. You can see why this would be bad. The electric fans were nothing but trouble for me when I had the M42 but the mechanical fan didn't fit. Either stick with mechanical fans for the reliability or trigger your electric fan by some means other than the switch in the top of the radiator. You don't stand to gain much anyway, the plastic viscous clutch operated fan in an E30 isn't your grandad's stamped steel direct drive that uses 15hp at 4,500rpm.
    Thanks for the feedback, i hadn't thought about that before. Right now I have the aux fan hooked up but could use that wiring and remove that to reduce weight. There has got to be some parasitic losses from the fan and fan clutch, especially during track driving to spin it up and slow it down. I've been contemplating running a lightened m20 flywheel also. I think both would really help the m42.
    318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

I did this at the end of last year, and my switch works well. I could see if you lose a little coolant, than the fan might not turn on, but you can always trigger it with the A/C switch. I noticed some pick up for sure (I'm 99% my mechanical fan was stuck on). My only concern is going to be when I fix the A/C this year, as there is no "aux" fan any more, but the electric fan can run double duty.
      The BMW 318 is back. With a vengeance.

Comment

Originally posted by hamann318is View Post
        I did this at the end of last year, and my switch works well. I could see if you lose a little coolant, than the fan might not turn on, but you can always trigger it with the A/C switch. I noticed some pick up for sure (I'm 99% my mechanical fan was stuck on). My only concern is going to be when I fix the A/C this year, as there is no "aux" fan any more, but the electric fan can run double duty.
        You wont have a problem with your AC. I have had my e36 electric fan in my 318is for the last 2 years or so. Never had a problem and the fan works great and my AC is cold.

Comment

Last summer crawling at 108 deg with the a/c on in traffic. And the needle never went past halfway or 205* head temp from the data stream. But I have my a/c wired in on the high speed side since the resistor on the fan was bad. Other than that it's flawless. Factory e-fan ftw
          You say "Where are your other two cylinders?"
          I say "Where's your other camshaft?"
          Frankenmotor: if an M42, M44, M20, S50, and S52 were to have a kid.

Comment

I just did this and have been running for couple days now with the stock fuse . Is it necessary to swap out the stock fuse for a higher amp one?
            Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by mr.vang View Post
              I just did this and have been running for couple days now with the stock fuse . Is it necessary to swap out the stock fuse for a higher amp one?
              I don't think so, I have my fan wired up to the stock aux fan circuit and the only thing I had to do was get rid of the resistor and splice is the correct connector because it's built into the fan housing/motor on the donor car
              1991 318is ---230K - DD
              1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
              so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Working...
              X