Safety equipment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safety equipment

So, recently got an E30 to build up as a street-legal HPDE car. I live very close to two good tracks so it's an easy drive to/from home, plus I don't have the space or budget for a tow vehicle plus trailer, hence the requirement to remain street legal. No interest in W2W racing either, but I do want to make it safe for track use. Here's my plan so far, but I wouldn't mind getting some more opinions/ideas:

1.) Neck restrain device. This one looks both more comfortable and much less expensive than the standard HANSes. Any opinions?
    Get the Best Performance with Zamp Racing Z-Tech Neck Tech 1A Series Head Restraint NT001003 parts at JEGS. Shop Now at the Guaranteed Lowest Price!

2.) Kirk 4-point roll bar

3.) Car came with Corbeau FX1 seats, so planning to keep those.

4.) 6-point harness is the obvious route, but there's a lot of choices, what makes for a good vs. bad 6er harness? Also, will I still be able to keep the stock 3-point belts in the car for when it's on the street? Would Schroth 4-points with their fancy ASM and DOT approval be a better option? I thought so at first but then they also state that they're not be compatible with a HANS device, so that's dumb, and I'm now unsure what the best compromise is.

5.) Fire suppression system maybe further down the road, but not right now.

6*.) I have good Nomex gear, but won't be bothering to use that until I get a coolshirt system installed and functional FIRST!

Opinions welcome, thanks guys!

I used to do exactly what you are doing for many years for HPDE's and Time Trials. 4 point bolt-in roll bar, Corbeau FX1, 6 point G-Force Cam-lock harness (should be about $150). I used the harnesses on the street. The only negative I can think of is the potential of a rollover that crushes the roof in, and you're stuck upright. That's a pretty unique scenario that I wouldn't expect to come across, and if you do, that 3 point likely wouldn't leave you in much better condition.

I use the Z-Tech H&NR that you linked to, and I like it a lot. Just have to take the time to adjust it and get it set up for your fitment.

Fire suppression is a good idea, I wouldn't consider it a must for a street/HPDE car.

Being hot is no excuse not to wear nomex, especially when you already have it... and don't have a fire system installed. Especially when you'll only being doing 20 minute sessions or whatever. I do 2 hours in full multi-layer gear without a cool suit, in w2w racing (considerably more stressful / sweat prone). It's hot, but not as hot as being on fire.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Given that the track day risk level's 'usually' a lot lower...

4. I have Ultra Shield harnesses- the hardware is good, and when you get them
      rewebbed, US will build them however you ask for about $60, last I had it done.

5. Strap in a good fire extinguisher. In 15 years, I have used mine twice-
      never on where an inbuilt system would have done any good. Your barbecue
      may vary. But it's a track day, NOT a race.

6. It's a track day, not a race. Prep your fuel system carefully,
      then assess your risk for yourself. I have a cool shirt in my race car, and don't always
      use it. It's nice to have, tho. Georgia's a bit warmer than Western WA, or Central PA....

t
      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. Think I'm going to go with the G-force harnesses; they seem to check all the boxes and are still reasonably affordable. Currently doing the floors so will put in the anchor points for 6-pointers. Coolshirt cooler is almost done, so personal thermal issues will be sorted next time we go to the track, and I think I'll go with Toby's recommendation of a solid strap-in fire extinguisher for now and then circle back to a full fire suppression system later on. Reminds me of one other idea that I probably ought to pursue though - a master cutoff switch. No reason NOT to wire one up right? Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
        X