Front speakers rattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front speakers rattle

I installed some new front speakers, and they are vibrating the metal that they are attached to. It's extremely annoying to the point that I've unplugged the speakers.

Here is the portion of the metal panel that is vibrating. Any tips would be appreciated.

have you dug around in there to see if there is some random part floating around, maybe a screw or something?

I have never had a rattle issue there, not once.

Get in there and kick its ass!

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
      have you dug around in there to see if there is some random part floating around, maybe a screw or something?

I have never had a rattle issue there, not once.

Get in there and kick its ass!
      Yeah, I pulled the speaker out and put a magnet down there to to make sure there wasn't a screw or anything. It's the weirdest thing. I put my ear down by it, and it feels and sounds like the it's the metal vibrating.

Comment

a piece of foam? weatherstripping? you could stick it on there to buffer.

--Mike
        (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorLondom
          I had this same problem. See if the black cloth on the back of the plastic kick panels is loose. When it's up against the speaker it'll flap against it.
          It happens when there is no cover on the speaker at all.

Comment

Originally posted by 15Michaeljoseph View Post
            a piece of foam? weatherstripping? you could stick it on there to buffer.

--Mike
            These may help a little, depending on how bad the rattle is.

Shopping for Foam Speaker Baffles? Our Virginia-based experts love helping folks find the right gear. Get free shipping and free lifetime tech support with your order.
            '90 325i - 5 speed coupe
            '05 330ci 6MT ZHP

Comment

Get some peel and seal from Lowe's and cover that area with it. It's in the roofing section. I used the same stuff to dampen the rear bulkhead in my old jetta. Got rid of all vibrations.

But like Luke said, something else must be going on because that spot doesn't usually rattle.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                Get some peel and seal from Lowe's and cover that area with it. It's in the roofing section. I used the same stuff to dampen the rear bulkhead in my old jetta. Got rid of all vibrations.

But like Luke said, something else must be going on because that spot doesn't usually rattle.
                I'll get down there again today and listen for the rattle and see if I can see where it's coming from. I'll also pick up some peel and seal. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Is it rattle, or air coming through the holes in the metal. Also make sure that the speaker wires aren't contacting the cone of the speaker in behind when you mount it. I have a thread where I showed what I did to mount speakers for best performance there.

Comment

Originally posted by dwvw View Post
                    Is it rattle, or air coming through the holes in the metal. Also make sure that the speaker wires aren't contacting the cone of the speaker in behind when you mount it. I have a thread where I showed what I did to mount speakers for best performance there.
                    I didn't think about the air moving through the holes, that might have been it.

I pulled the speaker yesterday, checked behind the speaker, and in the hole under the speaker. Couldn't find anything. I reinstalled the speaker, and speaker panel and it seems to be resolved. The speaker is no longer rattling

Comment

Could have been the plastic shield as well. AT least it's gone.

Comment

Working...
                      X