No announcement yet.

1991 "1RüSTYBöI" 318IS rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timing chain tensioner is a must, as are the guides. There are several different guides you can use from the later M4x engines, but I believe most require an updated timing case. I might have a timing case too, and I should have some sprockets if yours are really pointy. I have a few M4x engines, actually one of each generation if you want to check with me for parts.

I have duplicates of many of these gaskets if you would like me to see what all I have available. I would also suggest replacing the oil pressure relief valve, which is in the block, under the upper oil pan. It was updated with a plastic unit, as the old design featured metal parts that often got stuck. You will also want to blue locktite the upper oil pan bolts, as they tend to back out and fall into the pan.

Comment

Awesome work on the body! Can't wait to see this keep progressing!
      BEERTECH

Comment

Here is some of the carnage.

Micro cracks all over the left side tensioner.

Crank sprockets look pointy but looking at new ones they look the same so I think they are ok.

Lower timing guide is now a 2 piece guide.

Cam gears seem to be ok.

Right side guide not showing any signs of failure.

Upper guide also looks ok.

Overall engine looks pretty clean inside. Valve cover wasn't leaking anywhere but gasket and o-rings are junk.

Some parts wire wheeled and getting reading for painting.

And now a trivia question. I found this broken chunk of aluminum chilling behind the A/C compressor bracket. I looked around and couldn't find anything broken. I thought maybe something broke in the past and was replaced and that was a broken piece that fell down and was left there. Well looking around the front of the engine I couldn't find another part that would have a piece that looks like that.

Anyone know what it's from?

Comment

Fantastic

Awesome Serge. Can't wait to see end result. Keep up the fantastic work. IMPRESSIVE!!!
          Last edited by nogapersnBMWs; 08-20-2018, 08:39 PM.
          1989 332iS AW2 @ 2,342 lbs. m20b31 (JE FSR 10.5:1; 284/280 cam; ST+1 Intakes; RHD 40mm ITB/CF Plenum; Stahl 1.5"/CRMB X/Borla XS Pro; TMS J-Stock suspension (Ver. 2); M3 E3 undertray/VAC CF splitter; exhaust blown difusser; (Teves Mk60 ABS in trunk next)

Originally posted by Jb325is
          Sucks for everyone involved. Lots of guys are just building IG cars these days... Look good on the internet, but in real life they're hacked up piles of shit.
          Transaction Feedback: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=258421

Comment

Hmm this is making me think its time to check my chain guides on my M42 now
            Steve • Toronto
            1991 318is • Brillantrot
            Build Thread

Comment

Found another surprise today. The coolant port in the back of the head has quite a bit of corrosion. Can it be replaced separately or do I have to swap the entire head?

Not my pic but shows the area I am referring to. Mine actually has a hole in it.

Comment

Here is a very sloppy home made valve spring compressor.

Also prepped and painted some parts. Cleaning oxidation and prepping these things took forever.

Comment

And that takes care of that. Drilled, tapped and 1/2" NPT pipe thread with 3/4" barb end installed.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Sorry for the lack of updates but the car is officially finished.

I am still looking for a few odds and ends that I've been having trouble locating such as OEM replacement covers for the driver seat bolsters.

I was able to most of the shine back to the factory paintjob. Ended up repainting the rear spoiler since it was completely shot and adding front lip since it was completely missing.

I fabbed up the exhaust using $30 junkyard stainless exhaust I picked up from a Chrysler product. Stratus or Sebring, I don't recall which one exactly but it was 2.5" diameter and muffler was roughly same shape as factory BMW unit.

Last edited by bignslow; 05-29-2019, 04:28 PM.

Comment

unreal!... what parts of the car actually got painted?
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Join our Ontario E30's facebook group, we have a cruise to Muskoka coming up on June 8th!
                        Steve • Toronto
                        1991 318is • Brillantrot
                        Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by bignslow
                          Still missing a few odds and ends and I am way over budget
                          Welcome to the club, truer words were never spoken.

That being said, WOW. Just found this thread and your work speaks for itself, very impressive and what a great save on this car. I love when people are able to take something that's literally on the way to the crusher and can make it look like a garage queen with some (read: A LOT) of hard work. Really nice job and car! God I need to learn how to weld...
                          '86 325e Zinnoberrot /// '02 325ci Schwarz II /// '18 M4 Azurite Black Metallic ///

Albie325 Build Thread | Albie325 COTM Jan 2021

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            unreal!... what parts of the car actually got painted?

The only major part of the exterior that was painted is the rear fascia that was replaced.

Originally posted by Powling View Post
                            Join our Ontario E30's facebook group, we have a cruise to Muskoka coming up on June 8th!
                            I think I tried but wasn't approved.

Comment

I like this thread. I'm curious on those body panels you rebuilt what size steel you used? 16 gauge or 18? also, did you use a flux welder to stitch in each piece or is that mig welding? Any information you can give me on this is appreciated. I'm in the same boat with certain portion of my e30 and i've never done anything like this before, but bought a welder and I'm ready to dive in. I'm also curious if you removed the exhaust to weld in that section by the transmission tunnel or not? thanks man!

Comment

Don't recall what gauge steel it was to be honest. Just used some metal I had kicking around at work that looked to be same thickness as OEM. I used mig welder with shielding gas. Definitely practice on some scrap steel before attempting to do any body panels as the metal is quite thin and easy to blow through. If you just have a flux core welder without gas I wouldn't even attempt this.

Comment

Working...
                                X