M20 B3x Naturally Aspirated Stroker build past, present and future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F34R View Post
    I love seeing what can be pulled out of the m20, I really want to build my m30 up like these m20s.
    m30 has lots of potential probably 20% more than the M20 as far as peak hp just due to the bigger bore, valves and headflow. i also like the fact that you get to 4L pretty easy and even 4.2L M30 these days. An engine like that would be a monster if built right
    89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

:popcorn:
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

i laid some thin plastic on the main airbox and put the carbon fiber on top to get a perfect fit. the plastic was there to stop it sticking. i put about 7 layers of 200g/m2 plain weave carbon fiber cloth which ended up 2mm thick and plenty stiff.

the rest of the box is 2x2 twill cloth which drapes better and looks more vibrant in a way. i deliberately chose plain for the lid to contrast plus it is more structural which is important since the lid only has slight curvature so could be too flexible otherwise

this is the lid.

Last edited by digger; 06-30-2017, 06:46 PM.
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

Nice build. I have a Dbilas setup at the moment but it really kills the mid range of the engine, if you build a enclosed plenum and intake system I would be interested. Cheers Leigh

Comment

Incredible work. I too am interested in maxxed out m30 motors but question the feasibility of anything over 3.7L or so due to the bore spacing. How important is longevity?
            Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Incredible work I like seeing work put into m20's. One day i'll do the m30 one day.....

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
              1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
              Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
              Mtech 2 turbo restoration
              Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by Bearmw View Post
                Incredible work. I too am interested in maxxed out m30 motors but question the feasibility of anything over 3.7L or so due to the bore spacing. How important is longevity?

Cant really take the m30 bore much past 95mm, the rest of the capacity gains are in the crank (obviously).

Get top-quality crankshafts, connecting rods, and forged pistons at PPM Racing. Our cutting-edge technology, including CNC machining and computer-aided solid modelling, ensures maximum strength and weight savings. Choose from 2618 or 4032 grade aluminium alloy, with hand de-burred pistons and precision-milled ring grooves for low-drag, lightweight performance. Experience the best in design and manufacturing with PPM Racing.
                Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
                  Cant really take the m30 bore much past 95mm, the rest of the capacity gains are in the crank (obviously).

http://www.pureperformancemotorsport...roker-kit.html
                  Holy crap! What a price tag I'd just turbo it if i wanted more power.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                  1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                  Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                  Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                  Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by eb224 View Post
                    Nice build. I have a Dbilas setup at the moment but it really kills the mid range of the engine, if you build a enclosed plenum and intake system I would be interested. Cheers Leigh
                    i wont be building more than 1 it is too time consuming and it wont fit a dbilas setup anyway. RHD may offer something though. ive seen a prototype but not sure if it will be available or just a one off
                    Last edited by digger; 04-14-2014, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                      Holy crap! What a price tag I'd just turbo it if i wanted more power.
                      S38 crank is a cheaper alternative and will net about 3.7-3.8L tbh properly sorting the rest of engine will make a huge difference.

IMO the two piston design is poor with PPM stroker kit. i would buy the crank alone and get my own shorter rods and pistons.....when you target fictitious rod ratios and subsequently compromise the piston its a big no no. design the best piston you can, choose the engine size and fill the gap with a rod.

Everyone loves strokers these days, VAC now sell a 97mm crank for M5x engines. wont fit in an M20 unless you were talking about a short life drag motor ;) youd need a 2 ring piston, ultra small piston pin size and a custom aux shaft from quality steel. you could extend the block deck height with a spacer and sleeve it to run a longer rod and normal piston though but the timing belt and other issues would arise
                      Last edited by digger; 04-14-2014, 10:22 PM.

Comment

more on intake plenum design and molding pls op!

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                        Ig:ryno_pzk
                        I like the tuna here.
                        Originally posted by lambo
                        Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

one of the greatest M20 builds ive ever seen
                          Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!:)

sigpic

Comment

Comment

Wow. Subscribed for more!

I always wanted to do an all-out build on an M20.
                              2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
                              95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
                              98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Dj Buttchug View Post
                                more on intake plenum design and molding pls op!
                                the idea is to run open trumpets but seal off the hot air and provide a means to filter the air, that is all its doing sealing off the trumpets. so i made it as big as i can within confines of hood, booster etc. .

mould is just foam shaped with a saw, files, rasps and sanded smooth. apply a thick coat of epoxy let it dry. sand it roughly so subsequent layers will bond effectively and apply coat of epoxy and sheets of glass or CF cloth then a thin layer ontop to make sure its fully wetted. trick is to cut pieces to size that drapes well and conforms to the mould. i did each layer in 4 pieces with overlap. radii can tricky same with corners to avoid pockets. then get a roller to squeeze out excess and remove air bubbles of each layer. it takes alot of time

Comment

Working...
                                X