How much I spent on Spec E30 this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much I spent on Spec E30 this year

So this years spec E30 season just came to an end. I gathered my costs up for the season and thought I would share if anyone is interested. I did realize that a season of Spec E30 was less then a year of NASA TT with my E36. Just some encouragement for the folks out there that want to get into Spec Racing.

Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zly5NnAJaxI

Link to my spreadsheet:
    Sheet1 Spec E30 2018 Esimated Cost Tracking Subject,Approx Date,Cost Spec E30,02/01/18,$13,000.00 Sold Previous car,-$13,000.00,Fuel,$555 Sonoma Event Cost ,3/17/18 - 3/18/18,$430.00,Events,$1,935.00 Fuel,$65,Parts,$700.00 Truck fuel,$40,Tires,$560.00 Brakes,$430.00 Oil change,$80.00 misc hardware

Quick Recap of costs
    Fuel $555.00
    Events $1,935.00
    Parts $700.00
    Tires $560.00
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=617yNrOrRfo&

:up:
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

How about the approximate cost of track time per minute?

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
        How about the approximate cost of track time per minute?

Thanks for sharing!
        Looks like he got a ton based on how much he spent on fuel!
        (Just noticed that includes truck fuel.. still a lot of track fuel though!)

That number is much lower than I expected.. makes me want to build a car for it lol

Comment

I have a few questions, if you don't mind. What does 'flipped tires' mean? Flipping them on the rim to even out camber induced wear? I see on tirerack that a set of 4 Proxes RRs is $757, and they're listed as $560 on the spreadsheet is there a discount through NASA or something? And I see Helmet, Hans, Suit, Shoes, transponder, listed as already had, what's the approximate total cost of this stuff? I am familiar with the cost of a helmet, suit, boots in motorcycle racing and know the sky is the limit when it comes to how much you want to spend on something like a helmet and am curious about how it compares to the cost of your gear. Now I'm not considering getting into spec E30 myself, if I could afford to do any racing right now I'd get back on 2 wheels, but I'm interested in this cost breakdown because I haven't seen it before.

Originally posted by Metallated View Post
          That number is much lower than I expected.. makes me want to build a car for it lol
          How much more were you expecting it to be? I didn't know what to expect at all but I did know from talking to many Spec E30 racers that Spec E30 is very cheap as (car) racing goes.
          Last edited by varg; 11-16-2018, 05:24 AM.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 1-26

Comment

roguetoaster, I added what I think you were looking for on the spreadsheet (estimated of course)

Metallated, YUP! lots of fuel lots of fun!
            sigpic
            benvideoproductions.com

Comment

Hello Varg

Originally posted by varg View Post
              I have a few questions, if you don't mind. What does 'flipped tires' mean? Flipping them on the rim to even out camber induced wear? I see on tirerack that a set of 4 Proxes RRs is $757, and they're listed as $560 on the spreadsheet is there a discount through NASA or something? And I see Helmet, Hans, Suit, Shoes, transponder, listed as already had, what's the approximate total cost of this stuff? I am familiar with the cost of a helmet, suit, boots in motorcycle racing and know the sky is the limit when it comes to how much you want to spend on something like a helmet and am curious about how it compares to the cost of your gear. Now I'm not considering getting into spec E30 myself, if I could afford to do any racing right now I'd get back on 2 wheels, but I'm interested in this cost breakdown because I haven't seen it before.

How much more were you expecting it to be? I didn't know what to expect at all but I did know from talking to many Spec E30 racers that Spec E30 is very cheap as (car) racing goes.
              See video for explanation on tire cost. Tires flipped = flipping those tires on the wheels yes, since we run so much camber (and the direction the tires scrub) there is some uneven tire wear. You can get a lot more use out of the tires by flipping them and rotating. Hans was 500, transponder was 400, shoes were 150, socks were 25, suit was 400, helmet was 300... Approximately. I think that about covers it. Thanks for the interest, spec e30 ended up being a great choice, selling my E36 M3 turned out to be a good decision after all.
              sigpic
              benvideoproductions.com

Comment

Originally posted by yeaseth View Post
                roguetoaster, I added what I think you were looking for on the spreadsheet (estimated of course)

Metallated, YUP! lots of fuel lots of fun!
                Not bad, Chump Car (including maintenance/team costs, but not renter income) used to come out somewhere in the $3-4/minute range depending on the race duration.

Thanks for the interest, spec e30 ended up being a great choice, selling my E36 M3 turned out to be a good decision after all.
                Always a great choice!

Comment

[QUOTE=roguetoaster;4935481]Not bad, Chump Car (including maintenance/team costs, but not renter income) used to come out somewhere in the $3-4/minute range depending on the race duration.

oh wow very cool, with my spec season being at $4.60/min. +/-, I would say those are in the same cost bracket. Good to know!
                  sigpic
                  benvideoproductions.com

Comment

This is great of you to post. I am thinking about racing a real numbers really help that conversation. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks for sharing and sub'd! Wonder how similar the costs are to Pro3...

Comment

A weekend for us in 24 HOL (7 hours practice plus 14-15 hours racing). 4 drivers and 4 crew.

Expenses
                        Garage Rental- $150
                        Camper Rental- $595
                        Camping Fees-$75
                        Race Entry/crew/transponder-$1,805
                        Practice-$300-
                        Food-$460
                        Brakes-$250
                        Tires-$480
                        Gas-$358
                        Towing-$(250/10mpg? x$3.5/gallon=$88)
                        Parts-clutch 2x $130=$260 RMS&TISS=$18 FW Bolts=$32 Total=$300 (we had a leaking trans that ruined 2 clutches)
                        Oil/filter-$30
                        Misc.-Brake Clean-8x$5=$40 Trans fluid-$10 Total=$50
                        Race Charity Sticker-$100

Comment

Thanks for the positive feedback guys.

squidrope based on your numbers I see that you were at about $5.68/min +/- for the car, I don't know how much it would come to once splitting the costs and dividing by the hours you drove. Either way, good information to have and it's all about the experiences/having fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          sigpic
                          benvideoproductions.com

Comment

In my case I roughly added $5,000 by stuffing it into the wall at the first race of the season.

So this years spec E30 season just came to an end. I gathered my costs up for the season and thought I would share if anyone is interested. I did realize that a season of Spec E30 was less then a year of NASA TT with my E36. Just some encouragement for the folks out there that want to get into Spec Racing.

Link to video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zly5NnAJaxI

Link to my spreadsheet:
                            Sheet1 Spec E30 2018 Esimated Cost Tracking Subject,Approx Date,Cost Spec E30,02/01/18,$13,000.00 Sold Previous car,-$13,000.00,Fuel,$555 Sonoma Event Cost ,3/17/18 - 3/18/18,$430.00,Events,$1,935.00 Fuel,$65,Parts,$700.00 Truck fuel,$40,Tires,$560.00 Brakes,$430.00 Oil change,$80.00 misc hardware

Quick Recap of costs
                            Fuel $555.00
                            Events $1,935.00
                            Parts $700.00
                            Tires $560.00

Comment

Great thread!

Seth,

How competitive is your car?

How far is your track?

4 events?

Consider cost of how many hours a motor, Trans, Diff is good for?

How many hours would you calculate a weekend?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                              @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
                              X