No announcement yet.

M-Technic II slow restomod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spin the input shaft, count the output revolutions, do the math.

Comment

since there are a few ratios that are similiar, i suggest counting the teeth on the ring and the pinion and dividing the two. that will be much more exact.
      sigpic
      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
        since there are a few ratios that are similiar, i suggest counting the teeth on the ring and the pinion and dividing the two. that will be much more exact.
        True. I had already checked, but never posted back here. 41/13=3.15.

3.15 Torsen LSD, which is pretty darn close to ideal. I believe that the 3.07 would have been closest to the stock 3.73. The 2.93 that many people use is slightly better on fuel and the 3.15 will be slightly better off the line, but we're talking about such small changes that I can't imagine it will equate to more than about .1 sec 0-60mph and maybe .2 sec on the 1/4 mile.

Changing topics. Just before we left for Europe in June my wife agreed to buy me a lift for father's day. There was some bargaining involved, and I still have one project to finish for her before I'm allowed to install it, but I have a Danmar MaxJax portable two post lift sitting in my garage on a shipping pallet. It's taking up the rest of the space that the M-Tech isn't in the 2 car bay and the motor, trans, and carcass of the E36 (swap donor) is taking up the 3rd bay. My wife is amazing. I should tell her that more often.

Anyway, here is stock photo of the lift:

Unfortunately, it appears that my SI board batteries on the gauge cluster finally went dead, so the car is parked and the dash is in pieces while I wait for batteries, the Alpina green tach sticker and gauge trim rings to arrive from different corners of the world. Since this is going to be a resto-mod, I'm looking for small tasteful upgrades to make. I'm going for this look, although I'm not sure if I'm going to paint the needles. I've been thinking about swapping the E36 needles from my donor (like the 2nd picture).

And, while I was under the dash I saw the cluster of wiring that was added for a previous owner's alarm system. Since I didn't get the remotes when I bought the car, and the brand name on the alarm is something I've never heard of, it will be coming out. However, I do want keyless entry, so I'll wait on yanking it until I find a suitable replacement.
        Last edited by P.Kelly; 08-04-2013, 08:17 PM.
        The Definitive 1991 M-Technic Thread - a work in progress

Comment

Woo woo
          Updates

New diff's are always nice! Enjoying my new swap on a 3.73. Can't wait to see this thing e36 swap'd!

Comment

Desoldered and resoldered new batteries on my SI board tonight. Added the green Alpina swipe on the tachometer. Then I installed the brushed trim rings; not really my thing. So, here's to hoping that my solder job did the trick. I'm going to try to get the gauge cluster re-installed tomorrow night after work.

This is going to be super slow going. I have about 30 minutes each night to work on the car...

Comment

Gauge cluster re-installed tonight. Initially, I slid it in place, wired it up and plugged n the airbag before applying power just to make sure it all worked. Aside from having very little gas in the tank it all worked beautifully, or so I thought...

Then I notice the Brake light in the overhead check panel is still on. Apply foot to brake, hit reset. Light still on. Oh shit... Search r3v, looks like the check circuit in the CHMSL might be the culprit. This was NOT a problem when I grounded the car a few months back.

Oh well, at least the cluster works, I say to myself. Thirty minute later the interior is all back in except the knee bolster. I start the car and the Brake light is now off. Crossing fingers at this point.

I pull the headlight switch and #%@^& only the left half of the instrument lighting is working. My heart sinks. I was super careful with the SI board. I plugged in all the right wires. The lights had no sign of heat wear, so I didn't replace them. One last thing to try before I break down and cry...

I tap the dash, gently, but firmly three times. As if on queue, the lights come back on with the third tap; I shit you not.

Took the car for a drive, bumped some tunes, got some gas and remembered all the work I have ahead of me. Starting with a new steering guibo (rag-joint) because oh my lord the steering is loose with these 17" wheels and tires. Followed shortly by some head light upgrades and repairing the fog lamps. Pictures of the installed cluster tomorrow.

Comment

This project has found a new home.

Comment

No way...

You sold it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Unfortunately I came to the realization that I was not going to invest the time into this car that it deserved. A r3v member sought me out last year and over the course of a number if months worked out a deal. He picked up the car on Saturday and has it at RyanGMW's now for some work. I am sad to see it go, but happy the new owner is even more enthusiastic about enjoying the car than I was. The car will eventually reside in Santa Barbara, farther south than it has ever lived.

Comment

Well I'm glad it stayed within the r3v family

I remember seeing the beauty last year at one of the local meets, and it's definitely a rare mofo. Sucks you had to sell it, but relieved to know it's going into good hands

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well i feel the restomod should be continued.. with a new owner:-) I had the honor of obtaining the mtech II from a mr. P.Kelly a few months back, and since then have had a 5 speed swap done, the h&r touring cup kit that Pete provided with the sale was installed, a big brake kit up front, and various other minor maintenance issues resolved. This is just a fraction of whats been done since my purchase, but for now ill just show some pics.

BimmerFest!

1991 325i Mtechnic : : 1995 Jeep Wrangler : : 2008 Audi A8l
                        2016 Triumph Scramber : : 1970 Honda CL350 x2 : : 1974 Honda XL 350
                        1975 BMW R75/6 : : 1946 Ben Hur Jeep Trailer

Comment

Working...
                        X