No announcement yet.

Project Lessmeister: 91 318iS Restomod w/ MTech2 and modern drivetrain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow! that shifter carrier is short! is that the same setup i'm going to need? can you post more pix of your a/c lines? i assume you are sending those out for plating too?
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Yeah, if you are using a GS6-37BZ it will be. Really any 6 spd is going to be short short in an e30.

I'll post better pictures of the AC lines after they get crimped and plated.

Another day of little things, its all adding up though.

First task today was to wash and dry the MS43 engine harness. This was taken from a 2001 E39 530i. Plenty of slack to reach the glovebox. After it was clean and dry I fished an additional wire through the harness to the passenger side to reach the coolant temperature sensor that will replace the drain plug for the coolant temperature gauge.

In place, starting to route and button up

Since I am using the MS45 valve cover and pencil coils I have to repin the MS45 coil harness to mate to the MS43 DME. The connectors at the DME are the same, however the only pin that is shared is the ground. For whatever reason Siemens changed the pinout and moved each coil wire to a different slot. Not a big deal, 7 wires to remove and reinsert in the correct holes.

Coil harness installed on the engine

Harness leads tied up to the firewall cover, engine covers laid in place to make sure everything fits fine, it does. Sure makes the engine look nice and tidy.

I went to install the FAE brand coolant temp sensor in the drain plug hole and found it hit the cylinder wall. Ugh ok... uh... A quick search revealed this was an issue and apparently the fix was to double up the crush washer. I'd rather not.... so I decided to shave down the end a little. I got it where it was about 1/2 turn from tight and then shave it down a little more... too much.. into the inside of the sensor... whoops.

Since it was ruined I went ahead and cut it in half so I could make some measurements and not eat the next one. They are only $6 so no big deal. I'll modify the replacement carefully based on the dimensions of this one.

While I was under there I decided to deal with the 4-5-6 rear bank header, which is touching the firewall heat shielding. These eBay headers used to be a better quality product IMO. None of the other half dozen or so I've installed over the years had this issue, but again a quick Google search revealed this is becoming a common problem now. Several people complained of touching, or outright conflict between the headers and firewall.

I placed my biggest pry bar between the frame rail and the header, lifting it with my floor jack to put some tension on the pry bar. Doing it this way gave tremendous mechanical advantage over just putting it in the header and tugging. I fired up my MAP torch and headed the header just under the collector up cherry hot while my step son pumped the jack, driving the header down off the firewall with each pump.

I left the jack on it while it cooled, and it stayed more or less where it was bent to when released. Excellent.

One problem solved, but another noted. The O2 bung on that bank points straight at the firewall and does not leave sufficient space to get the O2 sensor in there.... I have spare bungs and plugs, but this means I'll have to take it off to get it welded in place. Ugh....

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
      https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

God I love this thread.
        fried chicken

Comment

Jordan, there is a speck of dust on the engine cover. You have disgraced this forum. I hope you feel bad. ;)

Originally posted by Matt-B
          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
            Jordan, there is a speck of dust on the engine cover. You have disgraced this forum. I hope you feel bad. ;)

That's some funny stuff right there.

Comment

This is a high quality build for sure. Enjoying following the process.
              "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
              -----------------------------------------
              91 318is Turbo Sold
              87 325 Daily driver Sold
              06 4.8is X5
              06 Mtec X3
              05 4.4i X5 Sold
              92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
              90 325i Sold
              97 328is Sold
              01 323ci Sold
              92 325i Sold
              83 528e Totaled
              98 328i Sold
              93 325i Sold

Comment

Starting to get the shakes....any updates? lol
                ------------------------------------------------------
                1982 528e - Sold
                1987 325e - Totalled
                1990 325is - Sold
                1997 540i6 - Sold
                1991 325ic - Sold
                2013 335i - Sold
                2005 X5 - Daily
                1991 318is - *work in progress*

Comment

^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like water
                  1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
                  1998 e36 328ic/5 -
                  Roundie alpina pig cheek’d (1969)
                  1967 2002 parts car
                  1994 318iS junked.

Comment

Hmm yes updates....

Every time for the last couple days I've tried to sit down, upload new pictures, and write a bit Photobucket has either been outright down or experiencing problems.

Here are a couple interior pictures I took.

I fabricated the AC lines earlier this week and had them crimped together.

I then sent the lines and a handful of hardware overlooked on the last run out for plating.

AC fan installed on the Nissens parallel flow condensor.

AC system installed into the car, less the loop hold downs which I need to buy new.

No matter how much I heated and bent the secondaries on the headers they just did not fit well and I wasn't happy with them. I decided to cut them at the collectors, weld on vbands, and fabricate down from there.

I pulled the headers back out last night which wasn't much fun.

Comment

God those lines look so damn good...

Comment

Im going to masterbate ;-)

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
                        Current Cars:
                        2016 PORSCHE GT3 RS
                        2017 FERRARI 488GTB
                        2018 RAPTOR CREW CAB
                        1991 318is SLICKTOP H&R SPRING SEMA CAR
                        1991 318IS SLICKTOP STERLING SILVER
                        1990 325ic BRONZIT/AUTO :)
                        1989 E30 M3 (SOLD AWAITING SHIPPING)

On Order:
                        2018 DODGE DEMON

Searching for:
                        CLEAN E30'S
                        S54 DRIVETRAIN
                        E30 DASH
                        E30 PARTS

Comment

Originally posted by 0-60 freak View Post
                          Im going to masterbate ;-)

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
                          :rofl: [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Not worried about the missing aluminum heat shielding on the AC line?

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                              Not worried about the missing aluminum heat shielding on the AC line?
                              Not at the moment, but I have a plan for that... I left it on during the zinc plating because you know.. you can't actually remove it intact. Needless to say it was pretty damn ugly after plating, the electrolyte solution turned it flaky black. I removed it for the time being.

This morning I was just minding my own business sitting at the computer nursing a headache and decided to pop on Houston Craigslist and type in "BMW E30" as I often do. Today the first search result was a guy selling a New Old Stock front center console. The same console I've been looking to find for months.

Needless to say I sent him an email and we met up in the afternoon to make the exchange. Very happy to have caught it and got it!

Brand new still in the dealer bag, order fulfillment from BMW AG in Aug'13. QC Inspection tag on the part indicates an Aug'98 part production.

Side by side with the decent condition used one I'd picked up from OMG Motorsports just a few weeks prior.

Taking the air saw and utility knife to an NLA console was a little nerve racking.... Switches cut out and shoulder notched to clean the airbag knee bolster bracket:

I decided to leave out the window circuit breaker even though its mint/new as honestly I feel its a useless item and it clutters the console. In its absence you just connect the two wires with a 15amp fuse.

Comment

Pm me if you want to sell the old console?

Comment

Working...
                                X