Weak heat from vents- air in system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weak heat from vents- air in system?

I had my coolant light on and developed a small link from the large hose at the reservoir. I refilled and noticed that I am no longer getting good heat from my vents. Sometimes it will be nice and hot, other times cold. I also notice that the lower radiator hose is cold. The car is not overheating? I opened the bleed screw for 5 seconds a few times to let coolant flow out. I didn't get any big air pocket. When I open the reservoir when the motor is hot, I am not getting and big release of pressure or coolant jumping out of the reservoir. Thoughts?

You're probably low on coolant. Open the reservoir while the car is cold.
    AWD > RWD

Comment

It was not very low. I topped it off, went for a drive and was getting pretty good heat. I opened the hood to find out that coolant was leaking from the reservoir. The upper radiator hose is hot and the lower hose is ice cold. The hot side of the T-stat housing is hot and the lower radiator side of the housing is cold. I bled the system and took a drive, no change. Is my thermostat faulty?

Comment

I ordered a t-stat to have on hand. Does it sound like this is the likely cause?

Comment

It wouldn't hurt to check. But if it's stuck close, I would think you'd overheat. If it were broken open I'd think all the pipes would be generally closer in temp. I remember a friend had a broken open t-stat and it just took like 20 minutes to get to operating temp, but after that it was normal.
          AWD > RWD

Comment

t stat stuck closed = overheat

t stat suck open = car takes a long time to heat up and possibly doesn't come to full temp when it's super cold out. IE never gets out of the blue on the gauge when it's below freezing outside. Which could lead to weak hot air through vents

Also there's an o-ring that goes with the tstat and if it's installed on the wrong side of the tstat it will act as if the tstat is stuck open. Find a diagram on realoem.com to see which way it's supposed to be

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

I am surprised it is not overheating also. Could it be that it has just been cold here in NY? The thing I don't get is that the hose on the other side of the T-STAT is cold and the one before it is hot. My coolant light is going off, but when I check, the reservoir is full, almost to the very top. Something is not right, but I do not know what it is yet.
              What should I expect to see if the radiator is plugged?

Comment

No major surprise, but it was NOT the t-stat. How do I test the heater control valve?

Comment

Working...
                X