• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squidmaster View Post
    please try not to be safe.
    ftfy
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

How are we looking deutschman?
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

He's busy putting in the subframe I sent him
        Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
        A Topless Memorandum

Comment

How does that even happen to a car like OP's (a 318is)? To my knowledge rear subframe fatigue isn't a common issue with E30s that aren't making that V8/turbo torque. I'm by no means an old-guard E30 guy who has seen everything, but I've never seen that in all of the myriad threads I've combed through, turbo or otherwise. I also haven't heard this kind of failure mentioned by the most knowledgeable E30 guys I know when talking about my upgrades and reinforcements, and I know a couple of E30 knowledge heavy hitters.
          Last edited by varg; 11-23-2016, 07:14 AM.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
            How does that even happen to a car like OP's (a 318is)? To my knowledge rear subframe fatigue isn't a common issue with E30s that aren't making that V8/turbo torque. I'm by no means an old-guard E30 guy who has seen everything, but I've never seen that in all of the myriad threads I've combed through, turbo or otherwise. I also haven't heard this kind of failure mentioned by the most knowledgeable E30 guys I know when talking about my upgrades and reinforcements, and I know a couple of E30 knowledge heavy hitters.
            I had a similar issue (it involved the rear two diff mounting points on the subframe) when I had a simple M20B25 in an E30.

On the other hand, I rocked a supercharged S52 in an E30 for a while, damn near 400bhp, and never had an issue with my subframe.

There are a lot of variables that may go into why this occurs to some subframes and not others. I mean, we can discuss the effects of 1 of the diff to subframe bolts being every so slightly loose, the moment created about the centerline of the driveshaft, the subsequent acceleration and then resulting force from the bolt onto the subframe, and then the slight fatigue of the metal in the subframe over time. It would be much easier to see how this happens after that kind of analysis. Without this kind of education/understanding/experience I can see how it seems improbable.

That being said, I don't think the issue is common enough to worry about. But it definitely happens.
            My previous build (currently E30-less)
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
              Without this kind of education/understanding/experience I can see how it seems improbable.
              Nice thinly veiled insult. I know full well what metal fatigue and moments are. I guess it just seems improbable to me that this would happen on a gutless 318 because I'm an idiot and not because I've seen powerful, abused cars where it doesn't happen

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              [CoTM: 4-18]
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              - updated 3-17

Comment

I'd guess the bolts were loose or missing, putting extra stress on the two that remained?

another possibility is rust. but yeah, subframe failures on an E30 are vanishingly rare.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
                  Nice thinly veiled insult. I know full well what metal fatigue and moments are. I guess it just seems improbable to me that this would happen on a gutless 318 because I'm an idiot and not because I've seen powerful, abused cars where it doesn't happen
                  Definitely not meant as an insult, my apologies for that. It's difficult to convey statements through the internet and typed words.

Anyways, like I mentioned in my previous post, I had a 'gutless' E30 that suffered from this issue. And a few years later I owned a powerful E30 that saw a handful of track days/Autox's that I owned for 8 years with the same subframe that never had the issue.

I was simply trying to explain how something can happen, in an area of understanding that I happen to be a professional in. Again, not meant as an insult. Sometimes I am a cocksucker on the forums, but this wasn't one of those times.
                  My previous build (currently E30-less)
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    I'd guess the bolts were loose or missing, putting extra stress on the two that remained?

another possibility is rust. but yeah, subframe failures on an E30 are vanishingly rare.
                    That sounds plausible, I've seen a few loose diff bolts on car's. But the only subframe failures I have personally seen has been on racecars, and even then, few and far between. With hard hits, it's usually the control arms or their pickup points that take the most damage.
                    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                    2016 Ford Flex
                    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

It seems the only way this should happen is with loose bolts and/or a lot of rust.
                      Several companies sell weld on reinforcement kits for the rear subframe, so is it really that rare? Those kits are not legal in all types of racing.
                      When I have my subframe out I will probably do it just because of my ocd and wanting to keep the car forever.
                      sigpic
                      1991 318is x 2 .

Comment

Those reinforcements are usually for the trailing arms (to stiffen them like the Mcoupe) or for the swaybar mount tabs. I've never seen a reinforced subframe kit? Unless it's for a 500hp+ build, I don't think it needs it.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I have the Garagistic rear subframe reinforcement plates, they are just metal plates that get welded to the diff attachment points on the subframe:

Here's the kit: https://store.garagistic.com/e30-rea...l-reinforcment

My front subframe was cracked to hell, it surprised me being that it's an M42 car. Here are pictures of the motor mount tabs:

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                          Transaction feedback
                          - jpod999

Comment

^Yeah like that. One peice for the top 2 bolts and a peice for each of the other 2 bolts. It may be a bit overkill but it's cheap insurance if u have the frame out and a welder handy.
                            Srs concept and maybe others sell these as well.
                            sigpic
                            1991 318is x 2 .

Comment

Never seen them before. Probably not a bad idea for V8 swaps and big turbo V8 cars. But I can say, aside from this thread, I've never seen a rear subframe fail like that in 15 years of dicking around with E30s. So personally, I wouldn't worry about it too much (hell, my car still has the original swaybar tabs and mounts - even the bushings are original, never bothered to replace them because they are still in good shape).
                              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I've seen a few failed subframes in person (fronts and rears), and I've seen this issue pop up on the forums enough to recommend that if you are dropping the subframe and have the resources to have it reinforced. Though, I suspect the cracking could be caused by worn mounts or other drivetrain components.
                                My Feedback

Comment

Working...
                                X