fusebox diode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fusebox diode

Can someone please help me troubleshoot the diode that feeds the K1 relay in the fusebox of my '91 318is? My auxiliary fan will not come on when I push the a/c snowflake button. I can jump the K1 and K6 relays and get the fan to turn on low or high speed, but it will not run with the a/c button depressed. The ac button lights up, but I get no voltage into pin 86 of the K1 relay. The simplest answer sounds like the diode in the fusebox, but I am having a hard time getting to it. I can remove the three philips head screws that hold the upper fusebox tray to the lower section, and I can see the circuit boards underneath, but there is a lot of resistance to pulling the upper tray up sufficiently to get access to the underside. Before I break something, is there another fastener, or is this inflexible 30-year old wiring?

I found it. A little more cajoling revealed the diode, and it was indeed dead.

Comment

Does anyone know the part # for this diode? I can't find it on realoem.

Comment

61311358265 or 61311358268

Swanny!
        SUCKERS.

Comment

Fantastic, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by idickers View Post
            I found it. A little more cajoling revealed the diode, and it was indeed dead.
            What did you end up doing to pop off the top to expose the top of the circuit board?

Comment

It turns out that the diode is below the circuit board, so I did not need to separate the circuit board from the top of the fuse box. I was having trouble getting the top (with attached circuit board) raised high enough from the bottom of the fuse box to get at the wiring.

Comment

Okay, the mystery continues. I now have a known good diode, and good relays. I can still trigger the high and low speed fan if I jump the K1 or K6 relays. I can trigger the high speed fan if I jump the temp switch on the radiator, but cannot trigger the low speed fan from either the temp switch on the rad or the a/c snowflake button (which lights up when depressed). I can ring the radiator temp sensor plug for continuity to the relay, so the wiring seems to be intact. Any suggestions where to look next?

Comment

Are you sure you installed the diode in the correct direction?

There is not much to the cct.

Originally posted by codyep3
                  I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                  2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                  1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                  1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                  2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                  2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                  2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                  2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                  2010 F650gs twin
                  2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Yes. The diode was marked, and it had male & female connectors, so there was only one way to install the diode.

Comment

Working...
                    X