M50nv/ZF Swap (Gathering List)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Figured I'd start a thread as a start to gather parts for my swap, so I can just reference one thread instead of starting many different threads.

I have an 90 E30 325i coupe auto along with a 92 E36 325i sedan auto.

I just located a complete manual trans swap from a 97 m3: trans, clutch, flywheel, pedal assembly, shift linkage, slave cylinder and line, driveshaft, and fasteners for what I think is a pretty reasonable deal.

Acquired
    -ZF S5D 320Z 5-speed $650
    -Driveshaft from the m3 part of above cost
    -M50nv with wire harness, eco, and accessories
    -E36 engine mount arms
    -E36 steering rack
    -E36 Radiator Hoses
    -E30 late model radiator
    -E30 manual airbag pedal set $50

Parts Needed
    -E34 525i Oli Pan, dipstick, oil pickup $250
    -E34 throttle cable $30
    -E28 or AKG motor mounts $30-120
    -E21 or 944 Brake Booster modified $250
    -E30 M50/S50 Wiring Harness Adapter $200?

Running Potential Total~$1700

This is the list I have come up with so far, I am sure I'm probably missing stuff as this will be my first swap ever and the first time doing a auto to manual trans swap. Any other parts I should be acquiring that aren't listed?

-James
    Last edited by jag09; 01-10-2017, 05:49 PM.

Any recommended gear ratios for an lsd? I will have to change the out as I know the gearing from the automatic diff will be off for this swap.
    Last edited by jag09; 01-09-2017, 11:04 AM.

Comment

You would buy this (-or Project Orca from Zionsville Autosport instead of the parts listed above) but still do m50NV? dont.

Check Us out on Facebook
      Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
      Full Product Line Tuning
      OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

I think I'll save money in the long run piecing it together as time isn't really an issue. Besides the e34 parts I need to source a manual e30 pedal set and a lsd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Unless you plan to build a turbo or like the NV engine most don't even bother with it these days. It's the oldest of the 24V modular engies that BMW used in multi chassis and least supported these days.

Save a few more dollars and buy a m52b28 or newer.
          https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

The M50NV is basically like an M20. But heavier. If you want to be barely able to tell that you swapped the car outside of worse handling and less refinement, it's a good choice. Otherwise, pick something else.
            2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
            2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
            1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
            1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
            - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
            1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
            1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
            Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
              Unless you plan to build a turbo or like the NV engine most don't even bother with it these days. It's the oldest of the 24V modular engies that BMW used in multi chassis and least supported these days.

Save a few more dollars and buy a m52b28 or newer.

I already have a running 92 325i that I was going to pull the M50nv from which is he only reason I'm even using it. The goal this year is to get the engine and trans swapped into the e30 and running good then start gather parts for turbo set up. If I find a newer s or m motor for a good price then I probably will pick it up instead and keep the m50nv as a spare motor to work on and build

Comment

Updated OP with the potential total cost. I'm sure there will be little bits and pieces as the donor car has been sitting for some time now. Seems as if the AKG motor mounts are a favorite for this swap

Comment

You said ZF gearbox? Which one the one?
                  https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Originally posted by m-technik-3 View Post
                    you said zf gearbox? Which one the one?
                    zf s5d 320z

Comment

Working...
                    X