Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R3v talk me out of/into getting a 4.4l E53 X5.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nando View Post
    Even so, the low end torque makes the car much more enjoyable in a DD situation. You don't have to wring it out to feel a difference. :)

I’ll keep an open mind ;)

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
    I like these - good choice. So much better than an suv. So, that's an N52 in there?

Yeah n52 car, which from the sounds of it is a pretty darn good engine.

Comment

I have a 4.6is in Imola Red and red interior, it's basically for sale. Had the timing chain guides done but the engine still runs rough. Working on fixing that.

It's been nothing but a money pit. Originally got it to tow a trailer but within 6 months the trans blew up. Bought a 7.3L diesel excursion and the X5 has been sitting ever since.

It's needed everything, trans rebuild, motor rebuild, interior rebuild, suspension rebuild. I wouldn't recommend buying one.
      Granted the excursion needed a trans rebuild too after towing for a year but that was mostly my fault.

Comment

Problem solved. Needs some love but she works.

Comment

Congratulations!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

I like it. Smart, stylish, modern DD.

Did these come in a RWD with manual as well? What years did they make these?

Comment

yeah they did but they were pretty hard to find with that combo. we had a 6 speed but it was an xi - still a nice DD. With a 3 stage swap and my custom tune ours was surprisingly quick for a 3600lb wagon.

2006 to 2013 I think? 99% of them are auto/xdrive though :(
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Congrats, you might find these links useful:

The shaft of the servo motor transfer case (transfer box) BMW ATC300 for BMW 3 series e90, e91, e92, 5 series e60, e61 for of the xDrive system. BMW 5 series E60, E61 BMW 3 series E90, E91, E92 27107546671 27102449712 Repair kit savings of more than $500

A How-To video of a simple disassembly, worn part removal, replacement part install and reassembly of a transfer case actuator.Replacement Gear available on ...

I enjoyed my 325xi/6
                Build Threads:
                Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

She’s going to the shop Friday, for now the transfer case actuator is unplugged. My guys down here said they keep the worm gear stocked and they usually do one every 2 weeks. Hopefully it’s just the worm gear but no signs of any issues with the transfer case itself! Fingers crossed.

Comment

TBH I think they fail because the t-case requires an LSD additive in the fluid (like an E30 rear diff), which eliminates chatter in the clutch plates. Over time the friction modifiers wear out - once that happens, the transfercase binds up during tight corners (especially parking) and you beat the shit out of that worm gear.

Keep the fluid fresh (once every 80k or so) and likely you'll never have a problem. Ours was perfectly fine but I replaced the fluid as soon as I noticed the "binding".
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

TBH I think they fail because the t-case requires an LSD additive in the fluid (like an E30 rear diff), which eliminates chatter in the clutch plates. Over time the friction modifiers wear out - once that happens, the transfercase binds up during tight corners (especially parking) and you beat the shit out of that worm gear.

Keep the fluid fresh (once every 80k or so) and likely you'll never have a problem. Ours was perfectly fine but I replaced the fluid as soon as I noticed the "binding".

Yeah that sounds about right, Ive read to keep all the gear fluids fresh on this car like every 60k miles. That’s the first preventive maintenance I’ll do lol

Comment

Well it's no crv but I guess it's cool ;) congrats, looks good.

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Comment

Originally posted by Pantless Spency View Post
                          Yeah that sounds about right, Ive read to keep all the gear fluids fresh on this car like every 60k miles. That’s the first preventive maintenance I’ll do lol
                          I'd think you'd want to do it more often than that considering most clutched LSDs call for 30k mile intervals.
                          Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                          Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

nah. Don't go all mechanical hypochondriac - the issue doesn't appear until about 100k miles, so a 60k interval is already pretty conservative.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Most people suggest every 50k

Comment

yeah they did but they were pretty hard to find with that combo. we had a 6 speed but it was an xi - still a nice DD. With a 3 stage swap and my custom tune ours was surprisingly quick for a 3600lb wagon.

2006 to 2013 I think? 99% of them are auto/xdrive though :(
                                Julien's looks really good as well.

Would you say these are more or less complicated in packaging / engineering / maintenance than an Audi A4?

How is the 4WD engaged? Is it all-the-time like a quattro system, or more like the Volvo or VW Haldex system that kicks in? My A4 Avant is the best ice car I've ever driven, but what a complicated packaging mess. Four systems have to come out to get to the thing you need to replace.

Comment

Working...
                                X