This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It fixed itself?

I drove really conservatively to O'Reilly's to pick up a fuel filter and pump, everything was fine. Then the car tried to die while on the freeway on-ramp. Drove down the freeway just fine. Then it tried to die getting off the freeway. So thinking my pump was getting uncovered around corners, I filled up with fuel. It died right after leaving the gas station and I finally got a CEL. Stomp test said 1215, so I checked my intake boot, unplugged and re-plugged my AFM and drove to German Auto Sport. Their BAUM tool said no codes, I drove it around the block including 3 times around a baby traffic circle with no problems.

Drove it to work today and everything was fine. So who knows, it seams to be working fine again?

Whatever, I'm going to pick up a new e30 today so I can do a ton of work to the green car. The only hitch is that the original owner lost the title then sold the car at an estate sale. The guy I'm buying it from never registered it (is just going to skip the title). He has a bill of sale from the original owner and the real estate agent's info from the estate sale.

Any advice for registering it? Should I take a bill of sale from him and his bill of sale to the DMV? Or should I try to get the original owner sign a bill of sale directly to me?
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

You’ll be fine with a bill of sale. Print out a lost title application and fill it though, save s bit of time at the dmv.
      cars beep boop

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
        It fixed itself?

Drove it to work today and everything was fine. So who knows, it seams to be working fine again?
        It takes 5 minutes to see that connector. Pull the airbox and look for the connector under the intake manifold. Disconnect it and look inside. Mine did this on & off dance until at literally the worst time possible it decided it didnt want to work anymore.
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

smog - CE Light out, no pass

Just purchased an e30 and took the car to get smogged this past weekend. it passed the emissions tests with flying colors but failed due to the "check engine" light being out. The tech testing the car told me that the warning light needs to turn on before he cranks the car to ensure that it's operational. After the car cranks, it should turn off like all the other warning lights. Is this BS or legit? Really hoping I don't need to remove the cluster and replace the light....

Comment

Sounds about right. It’s not terribly difficult to pull the cluster- good opportunity to replace all the lights as well. Might as well inspect your odometer gears at the same time.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
            Transaction feedback
            - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by mittttal View Post
              Just purchased an e30 and took the car to get smogged this past weekend. it passed the emissions tests with flying colors but failed due to the "check engine" light being out. The tech testing the car told me that the warning light needs to turn on before he cranks the car to ensure that it's operational. After the car cranks, it should turn off like all the other warning lights. Is this BS or legit? Really hoping I don't need to remove the cluster and replace the light....
              It's legit. You may be able to get around it by telling him it's too old for a CEL, but if he's getting hung up on a CEL for an 80s car, he probably won't let it slide.
              sigpic
              1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
              1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]

Comment

What year is the car?
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                  Sounds about right. It’s not terribly difficult to pull the cluster- good opportunity to replace all the lights as well. Might as well inspect your odometer gears at the same time.
                  that's not a bad idea

It's legit. You may be able to get around it by telling him it's too old for a CEL, but if he's getting hung up on a CEL for an 80s car, he probably won't let it slide.
                  he was pretty quick with the flashlight and his iphone to verify that there is indeed a CEL

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  What year is the car?
                  it's a 92

Comment

it's a 92
                    definitely should have a functioning CEL

Start with the bulb. I agree with an above post to just go through and take care of the entire cluster while you're at it, so you can just be done with it

Simon
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      definitely should have a functioning CEL

Start with the bulb. I agree with an above post to just go through and take care of the entire cluster while you're at it, so you can just be done with it

Simon
                      Yeah, I'll start taking apart the cluster after work. Appreciate the advice Simon, McGyver and jpod!
                      Last edited by mittttal; 05-30-2018, 10:06 AM.

Comment

NOR-CAL General Chat.

I bought my laguna coupe with no title from a kid who was selling it for his uncle. The DMV required me to have a duplicate/transfer title form signed by the registered owner (his uncle) releasing the car to me. They didn’t really care about the bill of sale.

The form below has options for “transfer of title with duplicate form”. The seller fills out the first few sections, then you complete the rest.

However, if you are able to go through the process of getting the title without this form let me know cause that would help me a bunch.
                        Last edited by mbonanni; 05-30-2018, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mbonanni View Post
                          However, if you are able to go through the process of getting the title without this form let me know cause that would help me a bunch.
                          I'll let you know. However, I just tried to use the online fee calculator and the website returns this error:

"Unable to determine registration fees due. Current application in process."

I've been on hold with the DMV for 45 min now waiting to ask someone about it. I read online that it could mean there is a lien on the car? Should I be nervous?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kronus View Post
                            You’ll be fine with a bill of sale. Print out a lost title application and fill it though, save s bit of time at the dmv.
                            make sure there has been no release of liability signed over to the "middle" party. That won't let you register the car without having a signed statement of facts from the owner of the car
                            Build Threads:
                            Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

I'll let you know. However, I just tried to use the online fee calculator and the website returns this error:

"Unable to determine registration fees due. Current application in process."

I've been on hold with the DMV for 45 min now waiting to ask someone about it. I read online that it could mean there is a lien on the car? Should I be nervous?
                              That can mean many things such as a lien on the car, paid registration but no smog, etc. Your best bet is to use a AAA office to help you register it. Less lines and the people are very helpful.
                              Build Threads:
                              Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
                                That can mean many things such as a lien on the car, paid registration but no smog, etc. Your best bet is to use a AAA office to help you register it. Less lines and the people are very helpful.
                                I just registered for AAA, which is so much better than dealing with the DMV. They got me all the forms I need and explained the process of getting the paperwork together. I also found out there is a lien on the car that needs to be released. I got the company's name, but they can only talk to the power of attorney for the dead guy. They would only tell me that the registered owner "started something a long time ago, but it never got finished", but he indicated that they can release the lien as soon as they get the correct paperwork.

This car is going to be a huge pain in the ass to get legal.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X