Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Failed smog for first time, not sure what to do.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by george graves View Post
    Yea you do. 93 or 92. 220, 221 whatever it takes.
    Fantastic quote.
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

You can use that quote to to see who is over the age of 40. ;)
      Originally posted by Matt-B
      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
        You can use that quote to to see who is over the age of 40. ;)
        I'm 28, but the GF says I have "Early Onset Grumps" (read 'get off my lawn')
        sigpic
        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]

Comment

I am over 40 and I don't get it.
          sigpic
          1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

Originally posted by Vincent Brick View Post
            I am over 40 and I don't get it.
            Originally posted by Matt-B
            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Ahhh, I watched that movie when I was about 12, didn't even remember that Martin Mull was in it. Mull is underrated comedy genius, and apparently responsible for that line.

Going to try smog test again right now, wish me luck.
              sigpic

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

Going to try smog test again right now, wish me luck.
                sigpic

Comment

O2, cap and rotor was good for almost 30 ppm HC at 15 mph, so passed!

Of course the screen pops up and the smog tech all like "Man! You failed by exactly 3 points again!"

Thanks to everyone for getting me through one more piece of the culture shock puzzle that has been relocating to California.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Vincent Brick; 06-20-2018, 03:54 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

Awesome, 30 ppm is a good drop in numbers. Glad you got through it without needing a converter! Also, I'm loving these Caddyshack references.

Comment

O2, cap and rotor was good for almost 30 ppm HC at 15 mph, so passed!

Of course the screen pops up and the smog tech all like "Man! You failed by exactly 3 points again!"

Thanks to everyone for getting me through one more piece of the culture shock puzzle that has been relocating to California.
                      Nice! Yeah, I moved here from VA 2 years ago. Having to smog and BAR restrictions on cars is a huge pain in the ass. Also, for the first time, I feel self-conscious about using water/run-off to wash my car in my driveway. It's a weird place...
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                        Nice! Yeah, I moved here from VA 2 years ago. Having to smog and BAR restrictions on cars is a huge pain in the ass. Also, for the first time, I feel self-conscious about using water/run-off to wash my car in my driveway. It's a weird place...

And you're coming from VA, which has a reputation for being restrictive when it comes to cars. I came from Ohio, where they don't really give a fuck what you do as long as you drive really slow. I get it on the wash thing too, I think its even technically illegal to wash your car in a driveway where I live, I think you are supposed to wash it in the yard so the runoff is collected by the soil, but I live in a gated community so no one pays attention to that, cops don't come in here.

I went from Ohio to the heart of SF when I first got here, serious change.
                        sigpic

Comment

did your 25mph numbers drop too? just curious....your 25mph numbers were great, but you barely failed 15 - it's good learning for all

Comment

HC @ 25mph went from 73ppm to 34, CO from .50 to .15, NO from 267 to 110. Pretty significant drop across the board it seems.
                            sigpic

Comment

what you guys think about my numbers. i know i passed but i noticed my nox in the 15mph is close. will i need a new cat i have a oem cat.

Comment

For future reference.. HC is hydrocarbons, which is basically unburned fuel. For high HCs, youre looking at ignition items. HCs also get stored in crankcase fumes and wait for it.. oil.. from slight amounts of blow by, this is why fresh oil change helps in this department.

Nox on the other hand is the by product of burned fuel, which the catalytic converter converts to something less harmful, so when this is high, usually a cat replacement looks more necessary.

HCs (fuel) kill catalytic converters.. which is why in newer cars the check engine light will flash when there is a catalyst damaging misfire.

.. or something like that..

Comment

Working...
                                X