No announcement yet.

formyhealth - 1991 318is Build Thread - now with 1000% more 1JZ-GTE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loving this! Got a dream about a Ford Courier with this engine swap. Sub'd.
    clutchCTRL!
    Move with a purpose.
    - 1991 325iX 4dr/5spd
    - 1976 2002 SlickTop/2.7i M20/G260
    - 2000 323i AT
    2016 Mazda CX3 Sport AWD

Comment

Originally posted by kid325e View Post
      Loving this! Got a dream about a Ford Courier with this engine swap. Sub'd.
      That would be a really cool swap actually! The engine and transmission aren't really that expensive, what has been most expensive so far is my labor hours.

Thanks!

Comment

Started working on the oil pan tonight. I was going to have a machinist do it for me, but it's been a few weeks and he only got it cut up, so I went over and picked it up so I could do it.

It'll be my first time welding anything aluminum other than some test welds I did which went OK. Looks like the tough bits will be all of the indentations for oil pan bolt clearance.

Comment

this is awesome!
          Paynemw
          1986 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - Sold!
          the ebb and flow of 325is ownership - In RVA
          1988 BMW 535is - RIP but my dream BMW

Comment

Got some more of the oil pan done, I did some volume calcs and will need to make the sump box 5x5x12 inches with a fill depth of 5 inches to get a very stock like 1.3 gallons of oil in it. Another option is 4x5x15 with a fill depth of 4 inches, but that's a pretty big pancake of a sump just for another 1 inch of ground clearance.

I'll be building a gnarly under pan anyway so I'll probably go the 5x5x12 route, which will allow me to add some pretty deep baffling too.

Comment

Got some new butt huggers! They are FIA certified and were cheaper to buy direct from Poland than from Ebay.

Comment

Bolt that pan down to a big heat sink when you weld it if you can. that thing is going to want to move and warp a lot with all the welding. I had this problem when I did my pan on my car. Looks like an amazing build though!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Originally posted by nomansland92 View Post
                  Bolt that pan down to a big heat sink when you weld it if you can. that thing is going to want to move and warp a lot with all the welding. I had this problem when I did my pan on my car. Looks like an amazing build though!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                  Thanks for the advice! I think I talked my machinist into letting me use his metal clamp down table to weld it up on. I really hope it doesn't warp too much, I'll try and do short welds with long rest intervals to see if that helps.

Thanks!

Comment

In the meantime I wen't ahead with the Garagistic bracket for the over hung Tilton pedals, works really nice but I will have to modify the steering column a bit for clearance.

Also this build will take a commercial break as I am moving to Kent Washington, I hope to start back up soon when we find a more permanent place.

Comment

Welcome to the PNW! If you haven't already subscribe to the PNW thread. There are lots bof us willing to help fellow members out! Also nice build its always cool to see something different

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by steel330i View Post
                        Welcome to the PNW! If you haven't already subscribe to the PNW thread. There are lots bof us willing to help fellow members out! Also nice build its always cool to see something different

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk
                        Thanks! I've actually lived in Oregon all my life, so it's already normal to me. I am on the PNW BMW page as well! I'm really looking forward to make some friends in the area to bullshit about cars and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by formyhealth View Post
                          Also this build will take a commercial break as I am moving to Kent Washington, I hope to start back up soon when we find a more permanent place.
                          Kent you say, I am in Kent. Welcome! Haha.
                          "Bayerische Motoren Werke - freude am fahren."

Brandon {Current: 1991 318iS, 2007 328i, 2014 X5 xDrive35d | Past: 1992 525i, 1997 528i, 1999 540i}

Comment

Originally posted by BBDirtbiking View Post
                            Kent you say, I am in Kent. Welcome! Haha.
                            Thanks! Well technically SeaTac but it's close to Kent.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by formyhealth View Post
                              Got some new butt huggers! They are FIA certified and were cheaper to buy direct from Poland than from Ebay.

Interested to hear feedback on these. I have the next model "down" the expert series seats and like them very much, but I've been thinking of "upgrading" to the grip like you have here.
                              '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                              Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
                                Interested to hear feedback on these. I have the next model "down" the expert series seats and like them very much, but I've been thinking of "upgrading" to the grip like you have here.
                                Well I can say that sitting in them in the living room, they're very comfortable and have decent hip room so I like that a lot.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X