Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member + My 91' 318is

Hi everyone,

I'm finally posting up my E30 after lurking for a while, I even bought some of my parts from some members here!

This is my 2nd E30 and this time around I bought a better donor car and made sure to not repeat my mistakes this time around!

A little bit about the car: I bought the car off of craigslist with not much info other than, "No oil/coolant leaks".How many times have you seen that on a craigslist ad?

Anywho, I figured I'd give it a shot. I took a look and pulled the trigger, it was really hard not to just buy it on the spot. It has it's share of issues, but nothing I couldn't fix or anything that seemed like purchasing the car was a bad idea.

Here are some pictures of the day I bought it and the day I brought it home.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Front.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	7253127

Name:	straightonhome.jpg
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	7253128

Name:	Fronthome.jpg
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	7253129

Name:	backhome.jpg
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	7253130

Name:	engine.jpg
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	7253131

I have ordered a decent sized parts order already and have installed a bunch of things as well as cosmetic refreshing. But I'll leave that to the build thread when I start it. Glad to be back!

Looking forward to sharing this project with you all!

:)
    Previous
    1986 325e W/ M50 - Roll Cage, Welded Diff, Learning Experience

Current
    1991 318is W/M42 - Lowering Springs - Homemade Short Shifter - COP Kit - Eventual Cayon Carver

5 lug? Or adapters?

Comment

Looks like a solid base top start with. Looking forward to updates.

Comment

Originally posted by Strelok View Post
        5 lug? Or adapters?
        Adapters right now, which are seized or something. Can't knock em loose, but I'm also not running much power, I'll switch from adapters when I rebuild it in the winter.

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
        Looks like a solid base top start with. Looking forward to updates.
        The P/O took better car than I thought, so far. And mostly unmolested.
        Previous

Current
        1991 318is W/M42 - Lowering Springs - Homemade Short Shifter - COP Kit - Eventual Cayon Carver

Comment

nice car! Cover engine with an old sheet, and scrape that crud off the underside of the hood. Replace with new insulation pads.

Comment

Originally posted by jdt10768 View Post
            nice car! Cover engine with an old sheet, and scrape that crud off the underside of the hood. Replace with new insulation pads.
            Yea that's on the list. What do you recommend for scraping? Prep with some spray, like mineral spirits or acetone?
            Previous

Current

Comment

Might be easier to avoid a mess by just taking the hood off...

Is it rusty in the back or was it just really dirty when you got it?

I think that was in the CL thread too... good looking starting point
              Simon
              Current Cars:
              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                Might be easier to avoid a mess by just taking the hood off...

Is it rusty in the back or was it just really dirty when you got it?

I think that was in the CL thread too... good looking starting point
                Yea good point, I have the room for it too.

It might be the photo quality, it wasn't too dirty when I brought it home. There is some surface rust in front of the rear wheel and behind the front wheel. Otherwise it was surprisingly clean (frame and underside too) for a midwest E30, which leads me to believe all the P/O's somewhat cared about the car.

Oh, didn't know there was a craigslist thread on here. I have a feeling the P/O might actually be a member on here
                Previous

Current

Comment

Nice looking m42

Comment

Great find, man! Also a lucky one, since Craigslist is filled with a lot of deceiving "for sale" ads nowadays.

Comment

Working...
                    X