Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alignment gurus please chime in (not E30 related)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So i know a bunch of us in the community are in the automotive repair industry mechanics, master techs, etc. and im having an issue at my job regarding alignments. I work for pep boys (I know) I do alignments often and fairly easily but ive encountered this particular issue twice. First time months ago on a 2010ish F250 4x4 and today on a Tundra 4x4.

The car is perfectly aligned according to the alignment machine but the steering wheel is crooked...

I align, i unlock steering, and it spins off center... WTF?

Note both the cars have different front end steering/suspension setups

Whats the deal?

it means the wheel wasn't centered when adjusting the toe?
    2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
    (Daily Driver)
    Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
    KW V2 Coilovers
    VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Originally posted by codyep3 View Post
      it means the wheel wasn't centered when adjusting the toe?
      False. Wheel has been centered every time.

Comment

maybe an issue with their steering assists. Are they electric steering assisted?
        2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
        (Daily Driver)
        Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
        KW V2 Coilovers
        VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

I do not believe so.

Comment

Could be that some of the rubber pieces in the steering linkage are torqued when locked, and release the torque when unlocked.
            Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
              Could be that some of the rubber pieces in the steering linkage are torqued when locked, and release the torque when unlocked.
              I was thinking maybe some suspension/steering components were replaced out of alignment. Components that are maybe toothed or splined that should be marked or installed with the wheel locked in position.

Comment

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg View Post
                I was thinking maybe some suspension/steering components were replaced out of alignment. Components that are maybe toothed or splined that should be marked or installed with the wheel locked in position.
                The difference there is you would see the alignment as off with the wheel straight, and could then correct it with the tie rod ends. A misaligned spline shouldn't cause the wheel to "snap" to a different position when the lock is released.
                Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Funny how so many people grasp at straws. No wonder so many e30s are in such $hit shape when people toss out the thought of a steering wheel spline that magically shifts.

I'm
                  Not a tech but know a fair amount about alignments and had this issue on my Tacoma after I changed the suspension.

A heavy duty truck spring/frame/alignment shop figured it out.

The cross caster was actually too slight. The overall caster needed to be pushed out of spec to allow the cross caster to work out.

Voila.

I'll confess that it's usually much simpler and is offer related to a defective tire, worn tire or air pressure.

If the tires are new one may have a bad belt. If they're used, swap them left to right.

The numbers work out but once the truck is at rest on the tires, it leans towards one.

'99 M3 - Estoril/M Cross
                  '92 Mtech2 - Alpinweiss/Mtech Cloth
                  '013 Taco DCSB 6spd
                  '012 Golf TDi DD

Comment

Working...
                  X