X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interest in e30 Harness Bars?

Hey all,

Just posting on something I built for myself that I feel maybe others in the community would want for their e30 as well:

I present the e30 Harness Bar/chassis brace/GoPro Mount! I built it myself in my shop (garage, ha!) and am considering making more.

The bar ties into the body at 4 OEM locations and uses the same hardware as the existing restraints. It is a 1.5" tube with 1" tubular supports. It is MIG and TIG welded and uses beefy 3/16 end plates with 3/8 hardware. The main bar is height adjustable and the suppports also adjust using threaded spherical joints. They bolt together with stainless hardware. I think the finished product is awesome. I'm going to drive it around for a few days and make sure it doesn't need any modifications before I take it to get powdercoated (although it looks awesome raw IMO). Please enjoy the pics!

Installed:

Thanks for looking and let me know what you think!

-G

Cool!
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

does something like this work for track-allowed harnesses without a roll bar/cage
      ?
      We're in deep now boys
      1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
      1988 340iL - Track car
      My M60 V8 swap thread here
      [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

It's generally a bad idea to run a harness without at least a roll bar. When you roll over and your roof comes crashing down on your head your harness holds you nice and vertical so you get crunched.

Comment

Weld it to a cage- profit
          BMW tech
          Umass Amherst
          05 wrx sti

Comment

Not every one wants a weld in cage, or a bolt in for that matter. I guess my thinking here is to develop a product that is fairly popular on most other chassis' out there that provides decent bracing at low cost and is easy to remove/install if you still need your back seat.

My principle hope is that it stiffens up my aging e30's chassis!

dasmanschaft012 - not sure on legality for race-use, I'm sure it varies from organization to organization.

Comment

Originally posted by stuman View Post
              It's generally a bad idea to run a harness without at least a roll bar. When you roll over and your roof comes crashing down on your head your harness holds you nice and vertical so you get crunched.
              I like this noob

I'm looking at those pics and have no idea what this does but I think it would have worked to restrain my former mother in law
              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
              Alice the Time Capsule
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Here is a pic of a similar part for reference...this is a proven concept.

Comment

How does it feel compared to stock?
                  BMW tech
                  Umass Amherst
                  05 wrx sti

Comment

Pretty cool, my friends boyfriend had a similar set up in his Subaru. Glad to see someone offering something new to the e30 community.
                    My Garage
                    2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                    1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                    1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                    Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Just because it's a proven concept, it doesn't mean it's right!

Comment

I like the idea of an official E30 harness bar but it shouldn't be expensive like the sparco one which is like $400-500. Harness bars shouldn't be that expensive and decent universal ones go for like $150.

Comment

Originally posted by stuman View Post
                          Easy fix - don't roll over.

I kid, I kid.

With that said, I wouldn't run a full cage on the street either.
                          Originally posted by Matt-B
                          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by TravisAsch View Post
                            Just because it's a proven concept, it doesn't mean it's right!
                            It may not be for you and thats cool, but the functionality is in fact there for those that want it.

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post
                              Easy fix - don't roll over.

I kid, I kid.

With that said, I wouldn't run a full cage on the street either.
                              Truth!

Comment

Working...
                              X