Spun Out and Hit Curb, Rear Wheel Now "Cambered Out"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spun Out and Hit Curb, Rear Wheel Now "Cambered Out"

I was driving last night and the road was wet, and I was going a corner a little too fast for my bald tires and I spun out. I hit a curb that was about 4 inches high with my back wheel. I completely destroyed the lip of the wheel, but I changed the spare on and I drove home. As far as I could tell in the dark, everything seemed fine other than that.
    The car didn't drive different than normal, but I did notice that the steering wheel was turned about 10° to the right when I was driving straight. Now that it's light out, I can see that the reason for that is that my left rear wheel looks like it was pushed in on the bottom. I just jacked up the car and I can't even see anything bent in the suspension, and it looks just like the other side. I know you can't adjust that with an alignment, but I guess I need to replace some parts of my suspension. What could be broken?

Pics:

I can take pictures of the suspension as well if that could help.

Easy fix. Just replace the trailing arm.

And buy new tires.

And ideally replace all the bushings in the rear suspension while you are at it.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
      Easy fix. Just replace the trailing arm.

And buy new tires.

And ideally replace all the bushings in the rear suspension while you are at it.
      Thanks.
      I was planning on getting new tires and suspension pieces anyway.

I guess it could be much worse.

Comment

Originally posted by savikbmw View Post
        Thanks.
        I was planning on getting new tires and suspension pieces anyway.

I guess it could be much worse.
        Definitely could be much worse. No one was hurt so you should be happy about that.

But I second the new tires. RWD light cars in the rain with bald tires is just asking for someone to get hurt...especially when you're NOT trying to get sideways on purpose, haha.
        Steve • Toronto
        1991 318is • Brillantrot
        Build Thread

Comment

I've lost count how many cars I've seen totaled by driving too fast on bald tires. You were very, very lucky.

Don't cheap out on tires people!

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
            But I second the new tires. RWD light cars in the rain with bald tires is just asking for someone to get hurt...especially when you're NOT trying to get sideways on purpose, haha.
            My tires aren't bald, they just aren't very good. Definitely a few times my E30 has surprised me in the rain back when I DD'd it.

Comment

The trailing arm on that side is probably bent. But the incident could have also damaged the subframe. Replace the trailing arm, then have the camber checked to find out if the subframe is bent.
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                The trailing arm on that side is probably bent. But the incident could have also damaged the subframe. Replace the trailing arm, then have the camber checked to find out if the subframe is bent.
                I'm going to the Pull-A-Part to grab the trailing arm off of the E30 they have there. Do you think I'd be best getting the whole subframe too?

Comment

Having the whole subframe might be a good thing. But, as is likely, the subframe bushing sleeves could be corroded and stuck. Making the job a PITA. You will have to decide if it is worth the effort.

Not mentioned earlier is the need for new trailing arm bushings. And there is the possibility of bad bearings that will need to be replaced.
                  The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                  Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Just replace that trailing arm and get the car up on an alignment machine to see if anything else back there got effed up.

bad tires, open diff, wet road and an e30 is like staring the grim reaper in the face
                    Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                      Having the whole subframe might be a good thing. But, as is likely, the subframe bushing sleeves could be corroded and stuck. Making the job a PITA. You will have to decide if it is worth the effort.

Not mentioned earlier is the need for new trailing arm bushings. And there is the possibility of bad bearings that will need to be replaced.
                      I planned on buying the kit of all new bushings from ECS tuning anyway. My diff mount is ruined so I was going to replace that while I was down there too.
                      Im probably just going to cut the things that are corroded at the junk yard and then deal with getting the old stuff out of the trailing arm once I get home.

Also, I have an LSD, I just didn't know how to control it and by the time I realized what was even happening I was on the sidewalk.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
                        My tires aren't bald, they just aren't very good. Definitely a few times my E30 has surprised me in the rain back when I DD'd it.
                        "Bald..."Not Good"...

...its the same thing. In both cases, you need to replace them. Period.
                        Steve • Toronto
                        1991 318is • Brillantrot
                        Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
                          "Bald..."Not Good"...

...its the same thing. In both cases, you need to replace them. Period.
                          No, I mean they are cheap tires. Not the same thing.

I was planning on getting new wheels and tires, but I don't drive it anymore so it hasn't happened.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                            bad tires, open diff, wet road and an e30 is like staring the grim reaper in the face
                            No, its like staring your avatar in the face
                            My previous build (currently E30-less)
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                              No, its like staring your avatar in the face
                              Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Working...
                              X