Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R3v talk me out of/into getting a 4.4l E53 X5.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R3v talk me out of/into getting a 4.4l E53 X5.

Hello peoples of r3v, long time no see! as some of you know, I was in a nasty accident earlier this year in my 86 325e which totaled the vehicle. That car was my daily driver, and though I loved the car and would never get rid of it, she wasn't exactly hitting all the criteria of a good daily for me.

What i'm looking for:
    • Good A/C (Vegas heat is no joke :devil:)
    • 5 doors, preferably a wagon or SUV, something I can load the dogs in the rear.
    • AWD is a plus but not necessarily a must, but I love going to the snow, and my parents have a nice cabin outside of Tahoe.
    • Generally speaking, reliable.
    • Automatic is a must, I want to drive this thing like a Grandma, not like I'm trying to be Senna.
    • Something I can buy outright and won't have to make payments on.

I was pretty set on getting a Subaru wagon of sorts, but the reliability factor creeps me out. I have plenty of friends or family who have had super durable and reliable Subarus, but I also have heard plenty of nightmarish stories surrounding the boxer motor, head gasket failure, timing component failure, I've seen water pump failure first hand. One of my closest friends wants me to avoid a Subaru like the plague.

After searching around doing a lot of home work I'm more leaning towards a 4.4l E53, from what i gather as long as you take care of them they are generally pretty good vehicles, biggest common failure point being the timing chain guides. The more and more i look into it i think its the car for me.

So, What does r3v say.
    Yes.
    23.94%
    No.
    29.58%
    Rob.
    46.48%

Buy the X5, you're going to need it to haul the motor swap for your future e30.

Comment

My cousin had a X3 with the M54. It was pretty cool...

I voted Rob. I always vote Rob.
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

been a while since there has been a proper poll options around here.....

Rob is the proper answer here........
        Originally posted by Fusion
        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
        William Pitt-

Comment

I would say no to a valvetronic engine, but an earlier x5 should be ok- ish.
          Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
          The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Metallated
            Yeah if you can find one that's stick
            No stick v8's .
            Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
            The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
              when did those valvetronic engines kick in? 2003-2006?

i want an auto but ive heard bad things about those straight six auto gear boxes, figured id just stick with the v8.

Comment

No stick v8's .

I thought there was an option for a v8 manual?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Avoid N62s (late model) at any cost, the earlier m62s are ok but do leak oil and need chain guides eventually.
                  Build Threads:
                  Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

My coworker has a manual v8, they were made for 1 year, which year? I'm not sure.

1988 ~ Lacey ~ 325iS

Comment

voted no because i have an abject hatred of SUVs, no matter the brand.
                      past:
                      1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                      1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                      1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                      1985 323i baur
                      current:
                      1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Why no m54?

My family had an e53 with the 3L m54. I loved that thing. I would for the i6 if i ever were to get one.

Comment

I have a 4.6is and love it. It does need constant wrenching though, but I don't see many comparable vehicles out there honestly. The x5 drives so much nicer than most SUV's, tows just as much, and looks great. I don't know if I would buy a 4.4 though, 4.6is or 4.8is only
                          - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

N52s are perfectly fine. Actually I haven't really had any problems with my N62 yet, but I wouldn't exactly say I love it - it's my wife's car. :p
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

There is an estoril blue 4.6is for sale on bf.c right now.

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Comment

Working...
                              X