Looking for a set of front/rear ix 3.64 diffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a set of front/rear ix 3.64 diffs

Anyone have or any leads for a set of ix front/ rear 3.64 diffs? I'm Interested in finding a set.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fresh_TD; 05-10-2018, 06:11 PM.
    '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
    '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Me too

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
    Angus
    88 E30M3 X2
    89 325IX
    92 R100GS/PD
    :)

Comment

Yeah, me too.. lol.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

im still surprised we cant get someone to cut some ring and pinions. i understand theres some r&d on it but it cant be that bad

Comment

Originally posted by 2002tiiguy View Post
          im still surprised we cant get someone to cut some ring and pinions. i understand theres some r&d on it but it cant be that bad
          My buddy has a contact with someone who could do it, I've thought about trying to organize a group buy, but I don't know if we could get enough people down to get a set done, and also we would all have to agree on a ratio.
          My Garage
          2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
          1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
          1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
          Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

That would be cool but there are so many people who've come here and said they were making bespoke parts (steering racks is a great example) and it never happens. Also that sounds like it would be really expensive, you can find them it's just a pain in the ass and they're like 30 years old now..
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Getting custom gears cut for such a weak front diff makes no sense. My plan is to get a small case diff in 3.64, flip it upside down and make a frankenpan to mount it, then a little intermediate shaft and 930 CV flanges. I just did a clutch dump with the wheel turned to far and sent the CV balls flying out of the cage, so I'm a little pissed and want to make it stronger. If I'm going to be running a turbo in the future I dont want to have to worry about my front drivetrain exploding.

Comment

Originally posted by 4x4_e30 View Post
                My plan is to get a small case diff in 3.64, flip it upside down
                You just described an E53 front diff.

Comment

Getting custom gears cut for such a weak front diff makes no sense. My plan is to get a small case diff in 3.64, flip it upside down and make a frankenpan to mount it, then a little intermediate shaft and 930 CV flanges. I just did a clutch dump with the wheel turned to far and sent the CV balls flying out of the cage, so I'm a little pissed and want to make it stronger. If I'm going to be running a turbo in the future I dont want to have to worry about my front drivetrain exploding.
                  Why would you dump the clutch with the front wheels turned? what did you think was going to happen?

I have literally done 100's of hard launches in my ix and it has never been a problem. Of course a turbo motor is a different story - but that's exactly why I don't ever see a custom diff happening. Everyone wants different things. Personally, the ix front diff is already heavy enough that putting in something from an E53 is a no-go, and it's fine with an N/A motor anyway.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Heavy = weight? The weight difference shouldn't be a thing... they're both iron case 168mm diffs.

Now the E53 diff location on the other hand... that's a problem.

Comment

the ring diameter is just one aspect. the later diffs are definitely heavier - the E34 was heavier and it's not even as bulky as the E53 V8 diffs.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                        Why would you dump the clutch with the front wheels turned? what did you think was going to happen?

I have literally done 100's of hard launches in my ix and it has never been a problem. Of course a turbo motor is a different story - but that's exactly why I don't ever see a custom diff happening. Everyone wants different things. Personally, the ix front diff is already heavy enough that putting in something from an E53 is a no-go, and it's fine with an N/A motor anyway.
                        I've done tons of turn in clutch kicks in my old iX, and I was running BFG KO2s in 215 75 15. Never had an issue. This car has about 100k more miles and endured Alaskan coastal conditions for the last 15 years, so I'm sure the CVs were worn out anyway.

Personally I don't give a **** about weight, my end goal is to have something that more closely resembles a trophy truck than a car, hell I'd stick a medium case in there if it fits. But the more I think about beefing one thing up the more I realize I would have to go through everything- divorced mounted NV149, chromo 930 CVs, d44 hubs, 5x5.5 wheels, big brakes, etc etc.

Comment

Personally I don't give a **** about weight, my end goal is to have something that more closely resembles a trophy truck than a car, hell I'd stick a medium case in there if it fits. But the more I think about beefing one thing up the more I realize I would have to go through everything- divorced mounted NV149, chromo 930 CVs, d44 hubs, 5x5.5 wheels, big brakes, etc etc.
                          You should start with a subaru 2.5rs. The aftermarket on them is insane. You're going to save so much money and you're actually going to be able to finish your project before you get bored of it.
                          AWD > RWD

Comment

Weight matters a lot to me. There's a reason I turned 180 degrees and decided on an N52 vs an S54. If you want to actually drive it, you would care. Otherwise, it's all bench racing.

Some day it will be done.. lol.

Kershaw, it's taken so long I bet my kids will be able to drive it before it's done. ;)

Anyway I still want a taller gear ratio. Even a mild N52 has like 100ft/lbs at the wheels more than the stock M20 does - I just don't see that working well with the Getrag 260 and 4.10s...
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I'm interested too. My iX is a 5-speed conversion and the 4.10 diffs are way too high a ratio. First gear is useless, and 80 on the freeway is almost 4 grand. It runs out of gear just about the same time it runs out of power, with a stock M20 - pretty fun on the back roads, but it's a bit much on long trips. When I put a turbo on it, it'll be a serious problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X