Gauge issues- all sorts of intermittent junk happening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauge issues- all sorts of intermittent junk happening

Well, not a good time for this as I'm having a coolant issue too. But, the tach, fuel, and water temp gauges are bouncing and intermittently working. Even the SI board lights will pop on with the "check" light and then pop off. So, I must have something loose somewhere. Can someone point me to the most likely area to focus on. I have had the cluster out many times and have had to tighten the nut on the water temp, but this seems more involved this time. Any help would be greatly appreciated as my time is spread thin and already have to focus on why my lower radiator hose is cold as ice. Thanks.

Does this sound like an SI board battery issue? I have lost tach, fuel and coolant temp gauges, as well as SI light, and mpg indicator. They were popping on and off for a day and now they are plain old dead. What is the normal diagnostic procedure for this? Thanks.

Comment

When I lost mpg indicator, tach, coolant temp gauge and SI lights unable to reset, it was my SI board batteries. You say you have removed the cluster many times, have you checked the SI board for any battery leaks, or a have you done a voltage test on the batteries?
      1990 325i
      2004 330i Individual 6-speed
      sigpic

Comment

I just checked the si board battery voltage and I have 3v lithiums and they are both putting out 3v. So, it sounds likes something else. Any idea where to check next. I am likely going to reinstall and jiggle all wires again.

Comment

Working...
        X