E30 flex = broken rear windshield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 flex = broken rear windshield?

Hey guys! Trying to process what happened to me last night, picked up an e30 for a friend of mine (special delivery lol) and when me any other friend got to his house to give him the car I was just looking it over, and I opened the trunk and climbed in to stand on the trunk floor because I was gonna bounce the rear suspension to make fun of how blown the shocks were ($300 e30, aka fun car) and right as I climbed in the trunk after standing there for a second myself and my other friend that was standing there just heard a loud “pop” and the whole rear windshield was broken! Is it possible that the rear end flexed enough to break the windshield? Has anyone seen this before? Could it have been a pre-existing crack and I just made it worse? I’m curious to hear everyone’s thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have seen them burst suddenly for no reason at all. One time we were at Sebring for a Spec e30 race weekend. One of the guys' street car had the rear window just explode while we were all standing there getting ready for a race. No one was even near it.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Any chance it had rear defrost and you left it on when turning the car off?

I know my car had this happen to the PO, and they made sure to bring it up multiple times that if you leave the rear defrost on when turning the car off, it doesn't actually turn off. This caused their rear window to shatter once before.

Not sure if it was just my car, or some E30's are like this but worth asking if it could be the cause.
      Steve • Toronto
      1991 318is • Brillantrot
      Build Thread

Comment

The car is haunted like Christine!
        Christine - Show Me: Arnie (Keith Gordon) realizes the true power of Christine as the automobile supernaturally fixes itself.BUY THE MOVIE: https://www.fanda...

Part Out now!

kidding, it happened to me while I was driving. Thought someone shot me

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
          Any chance it had rear defrost and you left it on when turning the car off?

I know my car had this happen to the PO, and they made sure to bring it up multiple times that if you leave the rear defrost on when turning the car off, it doesn't actually turn off. This caused their rear window to shatter once before.

Not sure if it was just my car, or some E30's are like this but worth asking if it could be the cause.

Funny you mention that! Turns out the rear defroster had been stuck on! That must have caused it. Case closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

gremlin. comes with the car...
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            '90 325i sedan daily driven
            '85 325e coupe also a daily

Comment

The answer is that what you did probably caused it to shatter that specific moment. But it was going to shatter.
              2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
              2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
              1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
              1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
              - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
              1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
              1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
              Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Working...