Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some help with Sunroof panel gaskets... please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some help with Sunroof panel gaskets... please.

Hello everyone

I have been searching and searching and cannot find any specific procedures on how to replace the worn out old sunroof panel seals. The ones that go around the perimeter of the actual removable panel. I had the car repainted and took the panel out already. I ordered in brand new OEM seals, ALL (3) that it calls for.

The BMW parts diagrams call out (1) front, (1) rear and (1) circular gasket to replace all of it.

I need to find out how to install all (3) of these new gaskets onto the (1) panel ???

PLEASE PLEASE... any help would be greatly appreciated. This is the only thing holding me up from driving the car again :(

Thank you
    Scott
    Scott
    Hotrodspdx
    87 325e

I believe it's an either or thing, with both the two part and one piece being able to function as the seal.

I just replaced my panel and used the one piece seal, which I had to trim slightly to fit. PN 54121903725.

My old panel had a two part seal. If you read the manual it explains which of the two seal set goes forward as they are slightly different.

Comment

as above, you only need either the two smaller pieces or the single long piece. if you add up the length of the two small peces it equals the large piece.
      real OEM shows the smaller of the two pieces at the front i cant remember if this is correct or if it matters.

89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Yep, either or.

2 piece, or one piece. smaller piece goes closest to the windshield if you decide to go that route.
        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Thank you for the Information.... the drawings you referenced show all (3) parts that I ordered in. #2, 3 and 4. Not one of them is long enough to go all the way around the panel in one piece and the "circular" one is quite short.

I'll have to give it another go and see what I can figure out.

Scott
          Scott
          Hotrodspdx
          87 325e

Comment

PN -725 should be more than able to do the entire panel perimeter, if not you got the wrong/bum part somehow.

But if you already have the other two pieces you're all set to install #3 in the front, and #4 in the rear.

Comment

Thank you Sir ! This is a HUGE help. :)

Does anyone have a suggestion on the best method for cutting this gasket material to length without crushing it ? Or just cut it and then pry it back open with a small screwdriver ?
              Scott
              Hotrodspdx
              87 325e

Comment

Dremel, hacksaw or angle cutter and bend it back in a pinch, they all work. Be aware that the metal strip can move around a bit after being cut, so just put it back in order before installing.

I don't know if you'd want to do this, but after cutting mine I thought that maybe I should've cut both ends at a shallow complimentary angle rather than straight. OTOH it could make both cut ends weak and prone to premature failure.

Comment

Thanks

That should do it .... thanks for the feedback.
                  Scott
                  Hotrodspdx
                  87 325e

Comment

How did the replacement go? Any tips or gotchas?
                    Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jdt10768 View Post
                      How did the replacement go? Any tips or gotchas?
                      Thanks
                      I replaced the rear piece recently and it was surprisingly easy. Just take your time and seat the trim all the way down. The hardest part was installing the panel back in the car where the rear sticks up above the roof line 1mm or 2. Bentley manual has a procedure.

When I did this I also cleaned up the underside of the panel, headliner just pops out. If you can you should pop the liner off and clean/inspect for rust spots. I had to spray primer paint in several spots.
                      My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
                      I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

thanks for the post and the replies. I am doing the exact same thing and ordered all three gaskets...could not figure out how to use them all!
                        current fleet: '89 325is; '91 325ic; '88 325is; '91 325i

Comment

Working...
                        X