DIY: Fuel Tank Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY: Fuel Tank Replacement

Thought i give back and share a DIY of my fuel tank replacement this weekend. Not the best with grammar but enjoy. Jack car up on stands for safety...:up:

Once car is in the air. .remove drain plus on passanger side rear located on the fuel tank...let the remainder of fuel drain

...now your gonna drop the exhaust....remove bolts connecting to cat which should 4 12mm bolts...

then remove 2 12mm bolts holding the straps in the rear of the muffler...

Once out...start removing heat shield above the exhaust 4 10mm bolts...

then remove 6 plastic nuts holding up some metal shields covering the fuel tank...

now remove exhaust bolts from headers 6.. 14mm which were a bitch to break.

Now once exhaust is out remove heat shield 6 bolts 13mm..

Then remove 4 13mm bolts from the cross member...

now remove 2 bolts from drive shift support bearing(not sure of the name) 2 13mm bolts...

now remove 4 bolts on the rear drive shaft 17mm bolts..have a friend to help you open and lock the ebrake so it's easier to twist and break bolts.

Now remove 3 17mm bolts from the front of the drive shaft. Had trouble removing drive shaft we had to shimmy it out..

Once out. Remove fuel tank bolts should be a total of 6

now its time to switch fuel tanks. remove back seat and use a Philips screw driver to open both panels under the rear seats. Disconnect all hoes and clamps.

Remove fuel filter which is connected to a bracket on the rear drivers side.

This is why its good to always check your fuel filter RUST!!

once everything is removed. Try to wiggle out the old fuel tank might take a little muscle. Sometimes it can get caught on hose's be patient.

Once the fuel tank is out swap everything over.

On top of fuel pump housing remove 4 8mm bolts and then remove fuel pump and housing and swap it over to the new tank as well as the fuel level sender..make sure to add new o rings and clamps will save you a lot of time and headaches.

Once everything is swapped over. Put everything back how you found it. Make sure to take pictures to remember where everything goes. My DIY kind of lacks a few details, but i tried to cover most of it. feel free to correct me. Thank you.

I know this is old but did you replace with an OEM fuel tank or aftermarket?
    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

When buying a new genuine BMW fuel tank it seems to be painted black.
      I'm assuming this one is an aftermarket one.
      1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
      1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

I replaced the fuel tank on my cabrio before and ended up just getting a used OE. I didnt like the aftermarket ones which leave out the drain plug
        Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
        http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Working...
        X