No announcement yet.

E30 Stereo Wiring for Dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh wow, no, insulate each wire separately!

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I figured it was too good to be true that I got it *all* right ;)

I insulated each negative separately and now it's a lot cleaner. Still a few pops and static when I turn the thing up (esp bass freqs) but it's livable. I guess next step is to bypass that stock amp.

Thanks for the help Luke (in this thread and others) - appreciated.

Comment

Yup, amp bypass

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

88 325is premium sound

This is where I am at currently with the info I have found off here.
          I deleted out the fader and ran the speaker wires to the harness and left the negatives unhooked still twisted. I have sound coming from all the speakers and the volume is fine but the quality is pretty bad no bass at all it sounds like the speakers are blown when bass hits almost but they worked perfectly fine just before I took it out.

What do i do from here did I do something wrong?
          I only had 1 blue & white cable on the stereo harness so i had to put both white wires (amp & antenna) together on the blue & white. Is that my problem? Antenna drawing power from amp? or is it this common ground thing screwing with the speakers?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
          Attached Files
          88' BMW 325is - Daily

Comment

At that point, you may as well bypass the stock amp

Closing SOON!

Comment

gave in and just did it today haha so much nicer!!
              88' BMW 325is - Daily

Comment

Where's the amp

I have read through mot of this thread,

My 86 E30 looks like the pictures and I wired it up with the fader's Blue and Yellow Speaker wires plugged into RCA ports in a DEH 1000 pioneer.

Yes I do have the ACC red wire to the VI/Green 12volt ignition wire that was going to the original radio

Yellow to battery constant

Blue white to Antenna

everything is grounded

It appears the amp is not switching on from the antenna wire as it is apparently supposed too.

I have no display back light and so its a dim screen. The Radio does not have an orange wire for the Dimmer connection which I have left disconnected.

I have read here some trick about switching the wires on the amp, I have not been able to find the amp.

The car does not have a trunk mounted CD changer.

There are a bunch of wires coming from the fader and I presume they go to an amp.

If someone can direct men to the amp?

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by conecaster View Post
                  I have read through mot of this thread,

My 86 E30 looks like the pictures and I wired it up with the fader's Blue and Yellow Speaker wires plugged into RCA ports in a DEH 1000 pioneer.

Yes I do have the ACC red wire to the VI/Green 12volt ignition wire that was going to the original radio

Yellow to battery constant

Blue white to Antenna

everything is grounded

It appears the amp is not switching on from the antenna wire as it is apparently supposed too.

I have no display back light and so its a dim screen. The Radio does not have an orange wire for the Dimmer connection which I have left disconnected.

I have read here some trick about switching the wires on the amp, I have not been able to find the amp.

The car does not have a trunk mounted CD changer.

There are a bunch of wires coming from the fader and I presume they go to an amp.

If someone can direct men to the amp?

Thank you
                  It's unlikely your 86 ETA has an amp. Premium Sound could be ordered, but it was like a $900 option, so its stupid rare. If you have one, I would be amazed.

Find your harness, unplug the fader and unwrap until you find the blue and yellow wires are just from the deck to the fader, remove them (oh, they dont go to RCAs, no idea where you came up with that) and use the wires to run the rears only, then run new wires to the fronts.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Bump for a great thread.
                    I just installed an aftermarket deck into a '90 vert with premium sound and also performed the amp bypass, followed these directions and all is well, first try.
                    However, since it's a '90 with the fader built into the factory tape deck, it was slightly different, but given these directions I had a really good base to go off of and figure it out.

My advice to all: don't consider the stock amp bypass an option, it's a must. Just do it!
                    '93 300TE 24V Krautbomber
                    '84 528e 5 speed Saphirblau Metallic [R.I.P.]

I love all BMWs with round headlights!

Comment

I'm a dummy and need wiring help.

Hello,

I know this is an old thread, but I finally stopped reading from the shadows and made an account to post here. Here is my situation:

My most recently acquired E30 (1990 325i) had an aftermarket Kenwood deck installed that I didn't want. I'm working to restore this one to as close as factory as possible, and I picked up an appropriate 'Pyramid' late model stereo. I removed the aftermarket stereo and it appears that the entire wiring harness was removed and redone with Kenwood wire. I have no idea what to do now. I got a set of clipped plugs from a guy who swapped an aftermarket deck, but I have no idea where to splice them in to work. Any help would be appreciated, because I'm at a loss.

Comment

I doubt they removed all the original wiring as it is tied in with all the other wiring for the car. Dig around and I bet you will find it. They likely just replaced the speaker wiring and maybe ran new power/ground.

Comment

Trying to put a Pioneer head unit(DEH-X6900BT) into my 90 325is car. The car had an aftermarket head unit in it before and they cut the factory harness. So I'm trying to figure out what wires from the radio harness goes to the car harness. From all that, here is what I'm seeing:
                          Body harness:.......................Radio harness:
                          White(two wires)...................Blue/white(system remote control)
                          Brown/blk.............................Black
                          Violet/gray...........................Red
                          Gray/red..............................Orange
                          Red/green............................Yellow

I think the above are right...

For the speakers I have
                          yellow/brown
                          yellow/blk
                          yellow/brown
                          yellow/orange(maybe red?)
                          Blue/brown
                          blue/black
                          blue/brown
                          blue/orange(maybe red?)

Radio harness has these:
                          green
                          green/blk
                          white
                          white/blk
                          purple(violet?)
                          purple(violet?)/blk
                          gray
                          gray/blk

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
                          1990 325is
                          m52b28
                          3.73lsd
                          g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                            Well, most definitely your car is Premium Sound..so, you are correct, the amp is not by the antenna, its behind the seat, bolted to the underside of the roof storage bin, under the trunk liner.

Oh, the rear speaker wires are a different color than the roof'd cars too.

Aside from that, what you did is use the stock amp, and crazy as it sounds, you did it properly...95% of the pro installers in America can't pull that off..but, if you simply find and use the 4 positives (/red, /black wires) that are on the fader, it will work fine.

Just like you said, tape off the "black striped" wires on the deck, all should be OK.

Now, since your car is an '89 Vert, you probably don't have 8 signal wires (2 pair) and most likely you have either 5 or 6 signal wires to the amp...so, if it sounds OK to you, you may be best by just leaving it as it is...but you will get a tiny improvement if you bypass the amp, but you will need to run wires from the deck to the front speakers, most likely.

If you plan to do a real system at some point, you may as well leave it, no sense running wires when you will need to run a bunch more then.

Luke
                            I have the same car as this guy, 1989 325i vert, and I have been trying to figure out my stereo for a while now and found this in hopes it would work for me. I have the positive wires from the aftermarket deck connected to the positive wires in the dash (black/yellow, black/blue, solid yellow, solid blue) and I am getting no sound. Am I missing something? The deck lights up and functions fine aside from this. I see that you referred to the positive wires as /black and /red, am I supposed to use those wires instead of the solid color blue and yellow? any help is appreciated from anyone, thanks.

https://imgur.com/a/zN5Qr

Comment

If you are using the factory amp still, you need to turn it on
                              Originally posted by codyep3
                              I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
                              2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
                              1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
                              1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
                              2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
                              2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
                              2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
                              2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
                              2010 F650gs twin
                              2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

I am still using the factory amp, I located it to the back wall of the trunk. Sorry for my lack of knowledge, I am totally new to this stuff and this car, so how would I turn it on. Thanks for the quick reply

Comment

Working...
                                X