Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

87 e30 No spark. Please help! The gremlins are winning...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

87 e30 No spark. Please help! The gremlins are winning...

Picked up an e30 that had been sitting. Seller indicated that the timing belt may have skipped a tooth. Got the car running after refreshing vac lines, intake tube, cleaning the fuel system and and installing a new timing belt and water pump. Car would run a little erratically which felt like the timing was jumping from well tuned feeling to very retarded and powerless. Frequently it would just stall and not want to restart for several minutes.

I replaced the coil and it began running better, then it stalled and will not start.

I put a timing light on it and got no spark from the plug wires, or the main coil wire.

At this point I could turn the motor over and the fuel pumps would run. I was getting 45psi on the fuel rail according to my gauge.

I found several threads on this board outlining the procedure for testing the dme wiring and so far the test results look good which has me stumped and extremely frustrated.

I initially tested the cps and reference sensors one of which was faulty So I replaced them both. The new sensors test at 930 ohms at the ecu pins.

Negative post on the coil has continuity to pin 1 of the ecu

Ecu ground pins all show continuity to ground

Ecu is getting power with key on

Other sensor pins all checked out within spec

Now here is the weird stuff: I was holding my hand on the main relay and fuel pump relays to feel for a click and when I turned key the 02 sensor relay started clicking in what felt like perfect time with a fuel injector or plug timing would be.

I swapped it with another relay and got the same result. I then swapped the harnesses for the fps and reference sensor and the fast clicking stopped happening on the 02 sensor relay but started happening on the fuel pump relay!

I opened up the round harness for the fuse box and it looked perfect. I sprayed it with contact cleaner but that didn't help.

Checked the grounds on the passenger side firewall and they are solid as are the grounds next to the diagnostic plug.

I now have no fuel pumps running when I engage the starter, and no spark at the coil. Iwired a bulb between the pos and neg on the coil as a visual aid and it doesn't light.

I picked up a remanufactured ecu and it made no difference. Still no spark.

I feel like there must be a short somewhere in the loom or i am missing a ground somewhere. But there may be a relay or something I am missing too. I am new to the e30 but an experienced grease monkey. Any help or ideas you guys can offer would be much appreciated.

Does that year have the C191 plug under the intake?

If it does, I would make sure it is not corroded or has broken wires. Pull the rubber boots back to the check the back side of the connectors, where the wires feed in.

Google or search C191 E30

Comment

No plug like that under the manifold on this car. The only round plug I see that resembles that on this car is on the firewall on the drivers side near the fuse box. I did pull the boots and pull it apart but the wires were pristine and so we're the contacts. I sprayed it with contact cleaner and bit it with a little dielectric grease and put it back together. No change though.

Comment

we have spark!!!!

I cleaned all the grounds in the engine bay, and re-tightened them but it still wouldn't start for me, so I decided I would take a good look at the ignition switch. I pulled the steering column apart and a nickel fell out when I opened it up. The nickel had some carbon marks on it like it may have been shorting some wires. I turned the kay and didnt hear the fuel pumps, so I jumpered the fuel pump relay and BAM! she fired right up and idles better than I ever heard it idle before. I think my issue was a combination of a bad relay, bad grounds, and a friggin nickel gremlin thrown in for funzies....

holy crap I can't believe it.

Comment

Not many of us who can say we got screwed for a nickel :)

Good job !!
          Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
          Alice the Time Capsule
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
          87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Thanks! That was definitely one of the more challenging electrical repairs I have ever made on a car. This little e30 is keeping me on my toes!

Comment

Congrats on getting it figured out.

Where in AZ are you?
              My previous build (currently E30-less)
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post
                Congrats on getting it figured out.

Where in AZ are you?
                Thanks! I am in Tucson.

Comment

Working...
                X