No announcement yet.

The Almost Fully Garage Built E30- Budget Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been quite a while so far but at this stage nobody is reading lol. This is mostly for me to stay motivated with a long build. I am also in the middle of opening up a Speed shop so I will include some pics of what's been going on. It's come a long way but I've fixed some snapped subframe bolts from previous owner and a control arm bolt which was my mistake but it's all ok now. Wheels and tires are on the car and I did purchase some brake cooling plates and installed. The M52 is torn apart as far as bottom end and I plan on taking it to a reputable machine shop by the end of the month. M3 cams are sourced along with upgraded oil pump. Enjoy! Will post some more tomorrow after I conclude some unlucky evaporator work in my parents e46.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    R&M Performance Auto Care
    Daily: 03' 530i
    Project: 87' 325e race/track car
    BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

So as soon as evaporator was done today, I lifted the car up and noticed the rear subframe mount is cracking on the body. I guess I'll be doing that in a few weeks but for now it's time to throw the e30 on the rack, sort out some body work as best I can and get it out there once and for all!

BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

I have made myself a goal to be updating this every other day now. Anyway, it's more to keep me working lol, but with the shop, family cars, and trying to find a few hours a week to relax it's getting kinda hard. Here are some pics of the subframe reinforcement. I also did an expansion valve on this wagon and will be filling the e30 by end of this week and paint next week. Looking to do an arctic grey color with black accents.

BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

Originally posted by Downshift-E30 View Post
          It's been a while now but I do have some goodies that came in. I am still waiting on some cash for one more and have been working on some other business things but I managed to get both strut bars at a good price and installed. Also, the black trim came out great! Soon, I'll be starting the motor build, just waiting for these bearings.... [emoji16]

It's been a while but I will keep this up to date every few days since I am way ahead of this point. I recently opened up a shop specializing in BMW repair/modification and my partner does Ford Mustang drag racing setups and anything Ford related even. I've been busy with that but finally have some time now to keep going. I will keep this linear so will show pictures in order even though I am ahead so it shows more of the progress. I was able to weld and install the bc coilovers! The chassis is so stiff it's incredible! Only things left chassis wise are the reinforcement set from garagistic which I will weld in this winter and also a complete cage which I will try and weld but buy pre made. I will be starting the body work tomorrow but the cp pistons came in along with speeding rods. Motor and swap parts are almost all there other than arp head studs and head gasket. After that I can save for turbo and accessories!
          Last edited by Downshift-E30; 10-03-2017, 08:28 PM.
          BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

I also did score some s52 cams and will be leaving the head stock for the first season other than the cams and simply work on getting a reliable 450whp to have some fun. Then ramp it up to e85 and make more of a race car out of it. At least, that's the plan for now!
            Last edited by Downshift-E30; 10-03-2017, 08:29 PM.
            BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

Body work is started and looking good. I'm not so great at this but I don't need it to look amazing. At least that's my justification. It will simply be a decent looking track car and a test bed to learn on and try new things as I get into racing and track days.
              BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

Shop space for my dyc (dip your car) paint job and spray gun is set up. I started shooting the car and will post with finished pics next week. All to do left is paint, bleed coolant, alignment, and bend the exhaust header x pipe up closer to the driveshaft. I have a 3" flexpipe down to a resonator by vibrant and complete piping made of 304stainless. I am no professional welder but I made it as best I can to oe styling in order to get rid of rasp with the resonator after the flexpipe and then straight back. Before anyone hates me for the dip, I thought it would simply be so much less hassle to touch it up when rocks hit it or if there's an accident on track. That is my main reasoning behind it. Enjoy for now!

BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

I finished up the paint and touched up some very small peeling areas. I also polished the glass and threw on 2 layers of dipcoat as reccomended. Also checked for coolant leaks while bleeding so we're good to go! Took the car out for a quick drive and she runs great, just a bit smelly. I'm starting to think there's a pinhole leak by the midpipe area. Unfortunately, winter is coming and I really wanted to blow this eta motor so I could swap the m52 in so I guess we will see what happens in the coming months! Definitely need a good reliable car for autocross next year though and some meets/events. Enjoy the pics! Now need to find a new rear bumper!

BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

those fenders are mean! can we get some more shots of the car? I wanna see it from all angles ;)
                    1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                      those fenders are mean! can we get some more shots of the car? I wanna see it from all angles ;)
                      This is currently the only other one I have. It doesn't fit 100% in the rear but I made it work.

I still need to go lower in the rear and I was thinking of just making a complete diffuser and running it bare to save some money and because racecar! Next on the list is some aero that swoops over the wheels, possibly sideskirts. After that, I do need to start saving for the turbo kit and accessories. Enjoy some pics of the shop project that does have continuous progress.
                      BMW Gearhead/Tech

Comment

Looking good so far!

Comment

Working...
                        X