S54 Cylinder 3 misfire with cut?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S54 Cylinder 3 misfire with cut?

Swap is coming along but I am getting a cylinder 3 misfire. I have swapped plugs and coil no change still cylinder 3. Any suggestions. It doesn't do it at idle, i can let it idle for 20 min no issue. But it does it when I put a load on it. I have looked for vacuum leaks and the only thing I found was the evap recirc solenoid which I capped. I am thinking about getting a new maf new coils and new boots. Any other things I need to look for. i have fresh oxys, which are still showing codes. That is what is making me think its the MAF. I get almost no change to the way the car idles without the maf connected. The plug looks clean and dry and looks to be firing appropriately. Any suggestions from the S54 gurus?
    1989 332IS -S-Fiddy Four-Some weight removed.
    5 lug E36 M3 Brakes Coilovers and LTW's and No ABS.

Have you checked compression?
    Originally posted by codyep3
    I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
    2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
    1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
    1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
    2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
    2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
    2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
    2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
    2010 F650gs twin
    2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Not yet. What kind of numbers should I see for the S54?

Comment

I will have to wait for a compression tester from amazon, as the one I rented locally doesn't have the right size.

Swapped the plugs and injectors around to try and narrow it down.

Comment

I have the inpa software but that’s it. I am going to check compression asap. It idles normally and drives fine for like 5 min but after that It developed the misfire and responds very strangly to throttle I think it , bogging down and not wanting to rev at all. I have to restart the car to get another 5 min drive time. I has intermittent oxy errors but oxys are brand new.

Comment

Was the plug from #3 wet or have oil on it? Just curious. The issue potentially could be the coil driver, but I would check compression/leakdown first. Might also want to pull the fiel injectors and inspect them.

If you have the INPA software you should be able to log the MAF and lambda readings to see if they are rational, stuck in range, or reading correctly.

What codes are you getting?
            Last edited by wazzu70; 10-22-2017, 12:50 PM.
            -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Compression check complete all were within a few lbs of each other.. Ran inpa and looked at live values it shows no volatage for lambda 2 when Ideling. Checked all the grounds and connections all is good. Lambda 1 shows voltage in range but 2 is zero. It is possible I have a shitty oxy harness? Or a dead oxy right out the box?

Seeing in error memory 145 144 and cylinder 3 misfire with cut.

Comment

Swapped oxy for #2 into #1 spot and still shows zero after 5 seconds. Must be an issue with wiring or DME. Any suggestions?

Comment

Can I back probe the Oxy inputs to the DME? Could it be an issue with the DME itself?

Comment

Do I need to have my post cat O2 sensors installed or plugged in. I have my sitting on the work bench. Could these be causing my issue?

Comment

I believe you should still get a reading on the primary sensor even with the rears missing. The rear sensors usually compare before and after readings to see if the catalysts are doing their job.

I would check the harness. Check to make sure supply voltage is present. If that checks out verify continuity from 02 plug to DME plug on the signal lines.
                      -Nick

M42 on VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by BMW_TUNER View Post
                        Do I need to have my post cat O2 sensors installed or plugged in. I have my sitting on the work bench. Could these be causing my issue?
                        nope, shouldn't be a problem.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I have the pinouts for the DME somewhere. PM me tomorrow if you need them and I can work on digging them up. Would likely help to give a good sense of what wires to start tracing. They're "available" online but I remember it being kind of a PITA to find them. The PDF I have are for NON SMG cars up to 2001 09 and then from that date up to 2004 09 so make sure your motor fits those parameters

Comment

Ok cool. It shows initial voltage via inpa when I start the car then it just drops like a rock to 0 after the car has been running for a min. Weird.. backprobed and it is still getting power when it goes to 0 but it isn’t registering any voltage in the inpa. More back probing to come.

Comment

Originally posted by diesekte View Post
                              I have the pinouts for the DME somewhere. PM me tomorrow if you need them and I can work on digging them up. Would likely help to give a good sense of what wires to start tracing. They're "available" online but I remember it being kind of a PITA to find them. The PDF I have are for NON SMG cars up to 2001 09 and then from that date up to 2004 09 so make sure your motor fits those parameters
                              I will be dropping you a pm. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X