R3VLimited Forums

Go Back   R3VLimited Forums > E30 Technical Forums > 24V Engine Swaps > S38

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
DukeOfBimmer
Noobie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 14
Thumbs up S38 325ix What's NEEDED

First #AntiTrolling mood

i'd like to know what it would take to swap a s38b36 0r b38 in a 325ix ?

Also any knowledge anyone has on our front diff & T case issue your welcome to speak!
DukeOfBimmer is offline  
Old 08-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #2
Farbin Kaiber
Lil' Puppet
 
Farbin Kaiber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Idaho
Posts: 29,509
Just the thought of the subframe having to be spaced down makes me think there could be adverse effects to the CV joints and potentially pinion angles as well.
__________________

|1983 323i|2001 330iS|
Farbin Kaiber is offline  
Old 08-12-2013, 11:41 AM   #3
fronton
E30 Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 1,240
I am not sure how long the front driveshaft could sustain close to 300hp if the rears are slipping. The biggest IX specific hurdle would probably be mating the iX transmission to the s38 block
__________________
fronton is offline  
Old 08-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
acolella76
R3VLimited
 
acolella76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Marietta GA
Posts: 2,915
Well the first thing you need is a trust fund and/or a sugar daddy. I think Blunt has applications on his website, or you might have to email him.
__________________
-Alex
acolella76 is offline  
Old 08-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
nando
Moderator
 
nando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: bellingham, wa
Posts: 32,673
about $25,000.

no, really. I'm probably not that far off the mark.

an S54 would cost half, fit better, and use way less custom parts.
nando is offline  
Old 08-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
Bimmer_man
E30 Fanatic
 
Bimmer_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 1,469
I'm usually not a big fan of saying stuff like this but with you ix I'd suggest looking into turbo charging the ix it's it's a lot more cost effective. A lot less of a pain in the ass. Also I've been reading up on s38 builds for over a year now and trust me a turbo m20 is a lot easier to maintain.
This is a suggestion not anything more. Take a look into some builds both here on r3v and via Google search. The engine alone will cost about 4000 for a good running one. Just keep that in mind.
__________________
Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!

86 325 ( sold/totaled )
89 325iX ( parted )
91 325iX ( sold )
98 528i current daily
(On the hunt for my next e30)
Bimmer_man is offline  
Old 08-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
acolella76
R3VLimited
 
acolella76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Marietta GA
Posts: 2,915
If he's looking into an S38 he might as well build a 3.2L M20 and THEN turbo it. Still would cost less than $25,000
__________________
-Alex
acolella76 is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 04:07 AM   #8
DukeOfBimmer
Noobie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by acolella76 View Post
Well the first thing you need is a trust fund and/or a sugar daddy. I think Blunt has applications on his website, or you might have to email him.
good humor! i'm not rich man but I'm looking 4 a build i can work on over the year's yes ill by a new car but as the enthusiast i am a challenging hobby is well needed
DukeOfBimmer is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 04:09 AM   #9
DukeOfBimmer
Noobie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fronton View Post
I am not sure how long the front driveshaft could sustain close to 300hp if the rears are slipping. The biggest IX specific hurdle would probably be mating the iX transmission to the s38 block
yeah i remember seing instruction's on s38 m88 to the ix but not sure if the s38b38 an s38b36 have same block or take the same transmission
DukeOfBimmer is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 04:12 AM   #10
DukeOfBimmer
Noobie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan_Omega View Post
I'm usually not a big fan of saying stuff like this but with you ix I'd suggest looking into turbo charging the ix it's it's a lot more cost effective. A lot less of a pain in the ass. Also I've been reading up on s38 builds for over a year now and trust me a turbo m20 is a lot easier to maintain.
This is a suggestion not anything more. Take a look into some builds both here on r3v and via Google search. The engine alone will cost about 4000 for a good running one. Just keep that in mind.
great advice do you have any idea what a fully built m20 turbo'd is capable of ? 1/4 mile wise i'd like a sorta sleeper daily driver possible an evo killer i think A modded diff & inconel steel Tcase of some sort machined would be enough.
DukeOfBimmer is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 04:14 AM   #11
DukeOfBimmer
Noobie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
Just the thought of the subframe having to be spaced down makes me think there could be adverse effects to the CV joints and potentially pinion angles as well.
i appreciate all info I'm new t the e30 world having had two e36's i wanna expand especially after my carbon e36 was side hit by a 18yr old on his cell phone smh! the pain...
DukeOfBimmer is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 05:54 AM   #12
Xat1cZ
R3VLimited
 
Xat1cZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ravenholm
Posts: 2,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeOfBimmer View Post
great advice do you have any idea what a fully built m20 turbo'd is capable of ?

just over 1000 bhp....
__________________
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)Be Afraid Of The Future
Xat1cZ is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 06:05 AM   #13
DukeOfBimmer
Noobie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xat1cZ View Post
just over 1000 bhp....
Hmm me thinks e30 ix gutted will still be heavier than a regular e30 an with 1000bhp put to 4 wheels with the m20 torque vs s38 so with the m20 i may not have the same advantage 1/4 mile to kill a semi modded evo 8 trufully 9 or settling for 10's quartermile would be nice not going for a record just satisfaction! Car 2 comment
DukeOfBimmer is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 06:19 AM   #14
nando
Moderator
 
nando's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: bellingham, wa
Posts: 32,673
it's ~140lbs difference in weight. it's really not that much.

also, I really don't think the ix is the car you want for a 1000hp drag racer or 10 second 1/4 mile.. it won't be streetable at that point anyway, and you'll go through front diffs like water.
nando is offline  
Old 08-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #15
DukeOfBimmer
Noobie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nando View Post
it's ~140lbs difference in weight. it's really not that much difference.

also, I really don't think the ix is the car you want for a 1000hp drag racer or 10 second 1/4 mile.. it won't be streetable at that point anyway, and you'll go through front diffs like water.
I was just quoting they him I'm not looking for 1000

My goal's

9to10 sec in quarter mile.

Still able to DD

+ Beefed up drive train & modded diff & t. Case.
DukeOfBimmer is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2004 - 2020 R3VLimited LLC