No announcement yet.

E30 Aerodynamics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the 2.3 was the rally series, but couldn't outpace the quattro at all, so they changed direction and released the 2.5 with dtm specifically in mind. at least that's what I've read from those "history of the w201" articles.

Honestly though, probably 95% of all this competition stuff is hearsay. Who knows what goes on behind the closed doors-- what the executives truly wanted to produce and why
    Last edited by squidmaster; 04-12-2017, 04:07 PM.

Comment

I got a couple things brewing, more pics to follow once I finish the rear set up.
      Attached Files
      E30 S54

Comment

Originally posted by TheDirtyS54Thirty View Post
        I got a couple things brewing, more pics to follow once I finish the rear set up.
        diffuser?
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
          diffuser?
          no nothing that crazy lol. I have to bolt in the chassis mounts for the wing and cut up trunk for the uprights to pass through.
          E30 S54

Comment

Your cars the one that Matt Farah drove right?

Have you taken it to any track days yet?
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

Your cars the one that Matt Farah drove right?

Have you taken it to any track days yet?
              yup this is the one and yes Ive tracked it a bunch of times.
              E30 S54

Comment

E30 Aerodynamics

That's funny, I have a swapped E30 and a W204 also. Both your cars are crazier versions of my own

Edit: back on track, are you tying the rear wing to the suspension or the trunk floor?
                Simon
                Current Cars:

Comment

That's funny, I have a swapped E30 and a W204 also. Both your cars are crazier versions of my own

Edit: back on track, are you tying the rear wing to the suspension or the trunk floor?
                  but I just have the e30, I did have an e90 m3 that I just sold a couple weeks ago though. As for the wing its being bolted into the frame rails that pass through the trunk floor.

pictured are the chassis mounts
                  Attached Files
                  E30 S54

Comment

Originally posted by TheDirtyS54Thirty View Post
                    but I just have the e30, I did have an e90 m3 that I just sold a couple weeks ago though. As for the wing its being bolted into the frame rails that pass through the trunk floor.

Nice that should be pretty damn functional.

I thought you had a C63, never mind. Too many people on those videos
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

installed the 61" APR GT-250 wing finally with custom end plates.
                      Attached Files
                      E30 S54

Comment

If nothing else it looks very serious. Had a chance to test it out yet?

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                          If nothing else it looks very serious. Had a chance to test it out yet?
                          Although not the greatest track to be testing the aero to its full potential, Ill be tracking this Saturday.
                          E30 S54

Comment

So an interesting follow up from me here. I took my car to Road Atlanta with the new drivetrain and managed to exceed my previous top speed by quite a lot on the long back straight. This promptly broke the end off of my wing and tore the 1" fender washers clean through my 16 gauge aluminum flat bottom. Back to the drawing board on these items, but holy crap the force must have been massive to do those things.
                            sigpicLevel Motorsport: www.levelmotorsport.com

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/levelmotorsport/

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/LeVelIndustries/?fref=ts

Comment

When you weld metal the heat effected zone (which can be quite large on aluminum since it conducts heat so well) returns to as-forged strength. Assuming you used 2024 it would take 495 lbs of drag on the wing to tear out a 1" diameter x .0625" thick plug in the bottom of the support. I eyeballed your setup to have a 5:1 height (of wing above the bottom of the support) vs width (of the bottom of the support) which give a 500% mechanical advantage to the load due to drag.

Comment

Originally posted by RoccoB517 View Post
                                So an interesting follow up from me here. I took my car to Road Atlanta with the new drivetrain and managed to exceed my previous top speed by quite a lot on the long back straight. This promptly broke the end off of my wing and tore the 1" fender washers clean through my 16 gauge aluminum flat bottom. Back to the drawing board on these items, but holy crap the force must have been massive to do those things.
                                Pictures?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
                                '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                                Shadetree30

Comment

Working...
                                X