Another M20 Turbo Build- Redbone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another M20 Turbo Build- Redbone

I wanted to build my car in peace however after months of scavenging through the tons of information on here I decided to donate to the cause. After years of procrastinating finally took a leap of faith and drove to Connecticut to pick up this a 1992 318i with 137,000 miles.

So the deal with this car was that allegedly the oil pan suffered a hit and loss of oil caused the motor to cease up along with the starter. Car came with tons of bib parts as well as a full M20 swap. Which I was going to dump with the hopes of putting in a S52 but after being discouraged with all the custom fabrication and finding it stupid to scrap a perfectly good motor and tranny I decided to go with a M20 turbo build.

SO MORE BAD

Got the car home and decided to run through the car to really see what I had because I picked it up in the night.

Sport Seats mechanisms was kinda not optimal but no rips
    Convertible top plastic window ( zipper ) stitch was all kinds of messed up so i plan on getting a brand new top.
    The tumbler was stuck in the steering wheel lock so I had to use the saw trick because the pin trick was not a option. So I then had to replace the steering column lock.

The dash had awful cracks so found a brand new dash on craigslist for $200

NOW THE WORST

Eventually I will get that rust addressed and get as much rust removed as I can. My plan is to get the engine and tranny in first then send it to the body shop.
    Im almost done getting the dash back in just waiting on the instrument cluster cause of course I broke the tabs.

Engine is already out and I have a lot of cleaning to do. If someone would like the help me with the best method of cleaning the engine bay? Thinkin power washer and toothbrush.

I plan to keep the stock bottom end as I don't plan to go over 400 tq but I am going to build the head with HD rocker arms and hotter cams and heavy duty valve springs. Today 02/03/2017 block is with builder being cleaned and new timing belt kit with water pump and ARP head studs will be put on.

Anyways much more work to be done hopefully I could finish up the dash this weekend.
    Last edited by Redbone; 03-08-2017, 07:19 AM.

So since my last post I have stripped in engine bay as much as I could to prep for paint. Being that my vision for car isn't going to allow me to be ready for bimmer fest this year due to funding. I've decided to take my time with this build and do it right the first time. I mean I'm only gonna have this car forever.

I should be expecting it back mid April. All rust will be removed and new paint will be applied with a mild shave in the original Brilliantrot.

As for the motor I received HD rocker arm and planned to just do a multi angle valve job , new valve seals, mill the head and slap it on the block with a MLS gasket but the machine shop called and said my Camshaft was shot and I needed 10 valves 6 exhaust and 4 intake so I went with a oem febi bilstein cam and CRP valves. Waiting on the Camshaft to finish the head.

Since then I've decided do a complete overhaul of the motor by doing bearings, seals, honed block and piston rings. Gonna throw on a crank scraper and call it done.

Once the motor is completed I will start purchasing Turbo parts. Will be going with a Precision 6262 or a Garrett Gtx 2876R.

I'm doing a ABS delete and brake booster delete and will be using chase bays brake booster delete kit. That should clean up the engine bay a bit and with the shave and wire tuck.

Patience builds legends. Unless your Rich.. then you could just buy legends!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice man! Pretty similar to my plans. Wanna see more. Lol

Comment

Nice project :)
        Instagram here! :coolphoto:

Now: E30 316 M50Turbo & E36 325i Rallycar
        Ex: Alot E30&E36

Comment

Got the block apart which wasn't too bad for the first time. Really enjoying this build. I'm learning so much from this car.

My block wasn't in terrible condition

With this blizzard coming in NY I probably won't be able to drop off the block until later in the week.

-ARP rod bolts and main bolts

-ACL rod bearings and main bearings

- Oem piston ring set

-IE Crank scraper

-Baffled oil pan

Here's a sneak shot of my friends built Supra 2jz beast

Comment

Originally posted by Ryno702 View Post
            Nice man! Pretty similar to my plans. Wanna see more. Lol
            Thanks man! Will try and keep it up

Comment

Originally posted by Jjaniiii View Post
              Nice project :)
              Appreciate the love from Finland !

Comment

Took far to long to get the body man to actually start working on the rust but it's getting dealt with. Also gonna be shaving the bay so just a pic of that getting done as well.

Comment

Picked her back after a long 4 months. She looks like she's still dripping. Father's Day weekend so I will dig more into her once time allows but for now enjoy these pics.

Comment

Made some well needed progress yesterday with the interior.

Comment

glorious
                      -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
                      91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
                      08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
                      04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
                      Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                      Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post
                        glorious

Thanks , because I relocated the battery I'm waiting on the M3 battery cable so that's the holdup for putting the carpet in.

Comment

Nice progress. Always glad to see a turbo m20 build instead of m5x swap. Keep it up!

Originally posted by 2mAn
                          The BMW V6 is the best

Comment

Originally posted by sampayne View Post
                            Nice progress. Always glad to see a turbo m20 build instead of m5x swap. Keep it up!

Thanks it was a easy decision.. instead of spending money in fabrication make sure the motor is bulletproof.

Comment

You are making serious progress!

Excellent stuff.
                              My previous build (currently E30-less)
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Working...
                              X