Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1991 e34 auto trans options?

Hey guys,

My dad has a 1991 e34 525i that has been sitting for a bit due to a slipping tranny and he really wants to buy a spare trans to fix it. I read the '91s auto trans are specific to that year, and I have been having trouble finding a trans from a 1991 e34. Does anyone know the validity of this statement, so I can possibly expand my search criteria?

My friend has a 95 ZF auto trans from an e36 M3 I can pick up for super cheap, will this work? What other year transmissions will work, if any?

1991 has A4S310R (GM) transmission, same as any 1991-1995 525i. they are everywhere and easy to find.

Comment

That is good news, thank you. So what about this? Says they also came with ZF5HP18? Which is what came in the auto e36 m3's correct?

Obviously I know wiki isn't the best source, but other websites say the same. Notice how it doesnt include 1991 for the 5HP18 though, why wouldnt it fit the 1991 m50?

Comment

Originally posted by mbonanni View Post
        So what about this? Says they also came with ZF5HP18? Which is what came in the auto e36 m3's correct?
        Obviously I know wiki isn't the best source, but other websites say the same. Notice how it doesnt include 1991 for the 5HP18 though, why wouldnt it fit the 1991 m50?

What tranny do you have now?

Comment

Not sure, car is kept an hour and a half away and I haven't had the time to drive out and lift it up to find out. However, given that is probably the best option to figuring out what I need I will try and find some time to do so. Howevver, does anyone know if I can use an auto trans from a 1995 e36 m3, I have access to one so it would save me a trip if someone knows the answer.

Do the gm and zf trans have a different bolt pattern, are they interchangeable? Cause if not that would mean the block on the m50 changed depending on what transmission it came with?

Comment

It's possible, but it's a lot more work. 5HP18 came on european and other ROW M50 E34 models, but not in the USA. Chances are it may bolt up if it has a 6cyl bellhousing and not V8. You'll need a different driveshaft and transmission control module at a minimum, possibly even the shifter mechanism.

Comment

Working...
            X